Kuhli Loaches Swimming Up and Down

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DeirdreHoyle

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I have 5 kuhli loaches in my 25 gallon tank and after I did a water change today two of them are hyperactive. They are swimming up and down the walls of the tank and then they swim to the other side of the aquarium and back. Are they sick or are they ok?

I have medium sized, soft gravel substrate and I know they like sand but there are a lot of hiding places and live plants so I figured they would be happy.

They are probably just enjoying the fresh water. Kuhlis are most active when they are happy. As long as it's not super fast and erratic. Video?

They are probably just enjoying the fresh water. Kuhlis are most active when they are happy. As long as it's not super fast and erratic. Video?

Ok thanks, I'll try to get a video today. They seem to have calmed down over night so that's a good sign.

Mine do the same thing occasionally, apparently it's a "happy" thing. But if you ask me, i thinks it's because they are sick of the same spot all the time, and they are trying to swim "upstream" (up and down the tank). I've had 2 that managed to swim up the narrow water stream from my filter, that was 3 inch above the water line. I found them in the filter media, one didn't make it.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

That's interesting, you're probably right about them swimming upstream. I've heard stories about them getting into crazy places but so far mine haven't done that yet.

Is it possible u changed too much water or that the temperature was a little different?

After last weeks 50% PWC my oldest cory began making jerky movements, like a twitch, ever 35-40 seconds. I looked it up and found that it could possibly be that I changed too much water. 2 hrs later my oldest cory was normal.

Are your fish still swimming differently than normal? Or are they back to normal?

(Friend of Bill W., One day at a time)

Is it possible u changed too much water or that the temperature was a little different?

After last weeks 50% PWC my oldest cory began making jerky movements, like a twitch, ever 35-40 seconds. I looked it up and found that it could possibly be that I changed too much water. 2 hrs later my oldest cory was normal.

Are your fish still swimming differently than normal? Or are they back to normal?

(Friend of Bill W., One day at a time)

I only changed about 30% of the water but it's possible that there was a temp change. The rest of the fish are acting completely normal. The kuhli still swims really actively at night, but maybe he is just happy. I wish this video would post so you guys could see it

Back
Top Bottom