kuhli loaches!?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rebekahbirch

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hiya!!
so i just had a few questions about kuhli loaches...? :confused:
1. i know that they aren't stricktly speaking a schooling fish, but is it cruel to keep just one? it would also have
5 neon tetras,
3 otocinclus,
3 male fancy guppies,
1 male dwarf (neon blue) gourami,
1 female dwarf (neon blue) gourami (willing to get rid of female for extra kuhli loach? and i haven't got her yet so it wouldn't be cruel!)
1 zebra nerite snail - in a 30 gallon tank- so it wouldn't be on it's own!? is that ok?
2. is sand on the bottom an absolute MUST? (i have gravel at the moment, and i'm still cycling my tank- worried that if i take all the gravel out, it would get rid of beneficial bacteria, and i'd have to start again?)
3. does sand make the tank water cloudy/dusty?
4. is the above list of fish compatible with these loaches?

Thanks in advance, Becky...XxX

The only fish you can't keep are aggresive fish such as cichlids because they will try to eat the kuhlis I have two kuhli loaches its best to at least get them in a pair they enjoy the company of their species and as for substrate I have gravel and they do fine in it. there strong so they can go deep into the gravel hope that helps!

Not CRUEL persay, but I would keep them in a group of three or more so they are less likely to get stressed out.. I would also up the number of neons by one or two.

Sand is not an abasolute must, but they do prefer it. As do most bottom dwellers. Sand will make the water cloudy when it is first put in, until it all settles at the bottom.

I would say they were compatible, yes.

Hope this helps you.

the tank is a thirty gallon, yeah, and the temperature is around 23/24 degrees celcius, but i can higher/lower the temperature if that made a difference. i was only planning on getting one because i didn't want my tank to get too over crowded? along with the list i'm already planning on, would you say 2 or 3 more loaches would make it too crowded? or would it work? also, caj52, do you use any special type of gravel for your loaches?
becky...XxX

Most of the inhabitants look like they are compatible. The only concern being the blue gourami. They can get aggressive with other fish. Not always, but it's not unusual for them to.

Kuhlii loaches do prefer a sand substrate as they like to bury themselves in with their heads sticking out. Very cute looking. Just stick to the coarser grades of sand, not the fine stuff.

Kuhlii loaches also seem to prefer the company of other kuhliis. Two or three should be enough. It shouldn't overcrowd your tank form the list you provided.

I don't use any special gravel I just choose the one that has smaller rocks and they have more of a polished look to so it won't harm them also I have a piece of driftwood with alot of plants so that should help them I don't use sand because it can be a hassle to clean

1. They're not exactly schooling fish, but khulis do like to group together under things. I can usually see two or three sets of whiskers sticking out from under the driftwood in my 29g. You could easily add several khulis to your tank. The bottom of the tank looks pretty bare with your current stock.

2. Gravel is fine if it's not sharp and pointy.

3. Like gravel, sand will make the water cloudy for a while if you don't wash it well. Once everything is settled, the water should be clear. I have sand in all my tanks and the water is clearer than the glass.

4. I don't see any problems, other than your gouramis might not get along.

Khuli's like to be in groups of 5 or more, but at the very least I would get 2.

I think group size on the neon tetras is more important, they do best in groups of 7+ so I would add 2.

Sand isn't a must, but smooth substrate is. You could always make just one sandy area if you do not want to completely re-do your substrate. I've done this in a couple tanks..it also cuts cost on the sand if you want to use a more expensive kind. I have used play sand and found that yes, it does cloud the water temporarily and the peices are larger and sharper and seem to do more havoc on filters. There is also sand you can get from pool supply stores that I've heard is better. I prefer the expensive stuff I get at petco. It never clouds the water at all and is suuuper easy to work with.

I think you have a very compatible stock list, other than the fact that your gouramis might fight, and could go up to 5 kuhli's if you wanted and wouldn't be overstocked. Just remember oto cats should be added to well established tanks so you'll want to add them last 4-6 months after the tank has been going :)

Yes, it is highly likely that the blue gourami will pick on the dwarf. If you want another gourami, try a pearl. They are usually pretty peaceful fish.

I agree that you might want to up the number of neons. That shouldn't cause a crowding problem.

siva is right that kuhliis seem to like a bigger group. They aren't really schooling fish, but they like company. I would keep at least 3 at the minimum. 6 or 7 are better.

You can use gravel with them as stated above, but they seem to find it easier to bury themselves in a coarse sand.

i have a blue gourami and 3 kullie loaches in my 75gal. iv tryed to add another blue gourami and the older one killed the new one buy stressing it out real bad and did it over night.

as the kullie loaches go 2 of mine hang out together sometimes but the other is at the other end of the tank and never see all 3 together (i spend alot of time watching my tanks)

We have 12 and they love to ball up together. Once in a while we'll see a few off on their own, but mostly they gather in our java moss.

Keeping 2 dwarf gouramis is possible, but it's best if you get a male and a female. 2 males can coexist in a tank, but it would need to be a bigger one. Anything smaller than a 50 gallon is not advisable. Dwarf gouramis may be peaceful for gouramis, but 2 males will get into it if they feel cramped. Almost all gouramis are territorial.

Even with a male and female there is no guarantee that there will be no trouble, but I've generally had good luck with it in the past.

if you want to stock muliple Kuhliis, a minimum of 2 or a group of 5/6 is best. they would love a sand substrate but be sure to use a coarse sand, as a fine sand could cloud the water and could possibly damage the impeller of your filter.

Pete

Well, I went and got myself 4 kulie loaches and they were just hanging out on the sand after I put em in. I only saw 3 and thought he maybe got sucked into the filter (fluval 205). So I took it a part and nothing. I later found him hanging on the powerhead just chilling. so I turned it off.

Ok that was 2 days ago and I have not seen them since. I hope they are just hiding in the sand. I have not even seen them come out to eat. I hope they are eating. Was hoping to see them just swimming around. Sigh.

Back
Top Bottom