Kuhli loaches

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Spencer1044

Aquarium Advice Freak
Ok so I plan on getting 5 kuhli loaches for my 29 gal. Would they do fine in a gravel tank. Any other tips on keeping them would be great thanks.ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1401396954.721197.jpg

I think that gravel would be fine it's not very sharp. Make sure you have lots of little caves and hollow sections they like to hide a lot. In my opinion they were the best freshwater fish iv ever kept I had 12 in my tank such characters. I ended up being able to hand feed all mine.

Wow nice im working on getting more plants and right now are growing at a rate of 2-3 in per week will that be enough hiding places

If you could get like a hollow piece of driftwood I reckon that would work good I had a piece about 6 inches long and all 12 hid in there they like caves and will sometimes go chill on your plants

All right I will keep an eye out for a piece at my lfs any other tips

Hope you have fun with them. I have 11 of them in my 29 gal. My tank is planted as well but the plants alone are not enough hiding places. In my opinion the more hiding places they have the more you will see them. Get at least 6 of them but the more you have the more fun they will be.

One of my favourite fish! I have three and they do fine on gravel. A heavily planted tank with lots of hiding spots will encourage them to be brave and come out where you can see them. Mine are out all the time!

Ok o Ive had the kuhli loaches for three days now I got 5. Yesterday I saw 3 then this morning i saw 2 and now I cant find any could just not want to come out of the big log or something should I take the java fern out and get them out of the log I need some help

They do often hide, especially at first.

But since they are new, if you can I would take out the decor and check that they're all still alive. When I got mine, one died under a piece of driftwood and poisoned the tank. I lost 5-6 fish before I realized what was wrong.

How do you get your plants looking so good? What's your secret, mine don't look anywhere near as nice

Oh ok so #1 use flourish #2 make yourself a DIY co2 generator (cost like $10 mabey $20 if you buy a diffuser) i just hooked up to a power head. #3 put dirt under your substrate, i know it sounds weird but it works really really well empty your tank take all of your substrate down put dirt in the bottom anything organic or straight from your backyard #4 lights on for 12 hours #5 lastly do regular water changes. If you do these things you will get 2-3 in of growth per week

Oh ok so #1 use flourish #2 make yourself a DIY co2 generator (cost like $10 mabey $20 if you buy a diffuser) i just hooked up to a power head. #3 put dirt under your substrate, i know it sounds weird but it works really really well empty your tank take all of your substrate down put dirt in the bottom anything organic or straight from your backyard #4 lights on for 12 hours #5 lastly do regular water changes. If you do these things you will get 2-3 in of growth per week

I've read people some times use potting soil.... Think that is safe?

Where did you get your loaches? Did you have to order them? I'm looking for a group for my 180g right now.

I got my loaches from aquarium adventure best fish store ive ever been too they have everything under the sun you would want or need and ya its safe as long as the bag says organic

Ok so I found 3 of the 5 they stay of hiding and hang on the thermometer until dark. Should I be worried about the other two? Should I look through the drift wood

I recently added 8 kuhli loaches to my 75g. I see roughly 2 or 3 so far. But I know they are shy and take a while to get used to their new homes. I also know they are nocturnal. I just need to be patient with them like you do.

with proper acclimation and high quality water you can rest easy knowing they will be fine.

I know in time they will be out and about more and more.

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I only have two kuhli loaches (I know- I need more! The LFS doesn't get them very often). I only ever see them whenever I'm doing water changes, and even then, I sometimes have to look forever to see them. They hide very well! A lot of times you can see them moving around a lot just before a rain storm or some other major weather changes. They are very entertaining when they are out and about, but try not to worry about them when you don't see them for a couple of days, otherwise you may be digging up driftwood and other decorations every other day looking for them. It'll stress the fish out more if you keep looking. They are very shy, so it will take them time to get bold and come out. :)

Back
Top Bottom