l201 questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Perentie1

Aquarium Advice Regular
I saw this pleco online and was planning to purchase until i came back to my senses. I did some research on them, but i still have a few questions:
1. Do they need driftwood, as i really don't want much? I saw on Planet Catfish that it is optional. I can make some caves for them but other than hiding places, do they need it?
2. Do they have a tendency to rip up/ eat smaller plants, particularly carpets?
3. Will they be able to get enough food with my active rainbows, (and soon) hatchets? I heard that the smaller plecos don't do well when there is a lot of competition for food. But they are nocturnal, so that might help.
That's all i can think of for now, :)

Hypancistrus species typically lean toward a meaty diet so they don't really need wood for anything more than a hiding place. I feed mine medium carnivore pellets and a few peas twice a week.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

what about ripping up plants? i really don't want to spend 60 dollars only to find out that it will tear through my plants?

what about ripping up plants? i really don't want to spend 60 dollars only to find out that it will tear through my plants?

With a meat eating Pleco you're more likely to be dealing with plants being uprooted rather than eaten.
I don't know about the act of literally ripping them, maybe a possibility..(?)

Sent from my iPhone using
Aquarium Advice

Good choice! That's my favorite pleco. I've had mine for 2 years now and he's still a tiny little guy. He has never done any damage to my plants. He was actually the first fish I bought for my tank, only cost me $20 rather than $60 though.

When I feed mine I feed the tank flakes and then bust up a wafer into bits and drop it all over the tank. Either that or use small sinking pellets. He has never had a problem getting food that way with a tank full of praecox rainbows.

okay, hopefully the pleco i receive likes the look of carpets (and is healthy).
also, when i looked them up, i saw them as hypancistrus inspector and as a snowball pleco, yet it still had l201?
??? is this a common misconception or something i missed, as last time i looked, hypancistrus sp201 and hypancistrus inspector are different

The L201 (Orinoco angel) and the Hypancistrus Inspector had the same number until they were eventually differentiated. They look a lot alike so it's not surprising that there is some confusion on which one it is.

i think i can tell the difference after looking it up.
Do you think i should ask the seller (if online), if they could email a picture just to verify?

Back
Top Bottom