Labor of Love, inwall 90 + 40 gal setup

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

billberet

Aquarium Advice Freak
hey all, just wanted to share some of my tanks. one is a 90gal, the other is 40.
i have FX5 filters on each of them with pvc plumbing.
i created my own mold to join the frame work from each tank. I think it came out nice :)
DIY LED light hoods for both tanks.

Attachments

• IMG_0014.jpg
    IMG_0014.jpg
    119.8 KB · Views: 273
  • IMG_0042.JPG
    IMG_0042.JPG
    238.7 KB · Views: 283
  • IMG_0044.JPG
    IMG_0044.JPG
    239.8 KB · Views: 300
  • IMG_1006.jpg
    IMG_1006.jpg
    93.3 KB · Views: 277
few more pics

Attachments

• IMG_1011.jpg
    IMG_1011.jpg
    110.5 KB · Views: 275
  • IMG_1014.jpg
    IMG_1014.jpg
    112.7 KB · Views: 273
  • IMG_1110.jpg
    IMG_1110.jpg
    90.9 KB · Views: 273
  • IMG_1164.jpg
    IMG_1164.jpg
    115.2 KB · Views: 266
everything you see is DIY, from the lighting to the bases the tanks are sitting on. here is a nice pic of my new hiFins, as you can see they glow when i have my blue led's on. it's a great effect at night, all you see are the glowing fish, lol

Attachments

• IMG_1218.JPG
    IMG_1218.JPG
    193.6 KB · Views: 274
Looks really good. I'm thinking of doing my 120g as a built in. Just not sure how to hide everything but make it all east to get to for maintenance

thanks, i appreciate the comments.

if you want to do this yourself, you need to have a room behind your room that holds your tanks. for me, i have a boiler room, that is where my tanks are.
i'll post some behind the scenes pics to show you.

Ignore the man behind the red curtain !!!!!
lol, ok behind the scene.

from these pics you can see how i have my tanks staggered and my pvc secured. the tough part was connecting pvc to the uv because the uv was a unique size that no pvc fitting was able connect with. so i made my own, using flex tubing to a barb to make the transition to pvc.

you'll also notice both light fixtures are DIY LED setups. they work well and are super bright !!!! a mixture of blue and white led's give the correct hue and the fish seem to love it.

for filtration i have a fx5 canister on each tank, i know it's overkill but you can never go wrong with overkill !!!! and becuase i have the same canisters, i can swap media if i need to seed either tank with bacteria to jump start my cycle.

the pics are a little old, i have some upgraded parts now but you get the idea.
if i didn't have a room to put the tanks, an in wall would be impossible for tanks this size.

Attachments

• IMG_0916.JPG
    IMG_0916.JPG
    218.8 KB · Views: 247
  • IMG_0920.JPG
    IMG_0920.JPG
    238.4 KB · Views: 246
  • IMG_1005.JPG
    IMG_1005.JPG
    230 KB · Views: 234
  • IMG_1113.jpg
    IMG_1113.jpg
    96.1 KB · Views: 252
Very well done. When i build my house i want to put a 220 in the wall. I also have some questions about your pvc on your intake and outtake but i will pm you about that.

no problem, i will answer what i can. so far i choose pvc 10000% over flex tubing, best thing i ever did for my filtration. i have FX5 with a 1" out/intake
so my pvc has no restriction going from 1" -> 1"

here is the final view with all the DIY plants
60421-albums9596-picture38832.jpg

60421-albums9596-picture38921.jpg

here is the final 40gal finished with a few DIY plants
60421-albums9596-picture38836.jpg

Nice!!!

I've thought about doing some kind of inwall on the wall that separates our living and dining room -- but it's kind of a 'dare to dream' thing. So nice to see something like it come to life.

:)

i know your feeling, the only problem with a standard wall is how thin the tank would be if it's a dividing wall. have you ever thought about removing a piece of the wall and replacing it with a tank? make the tank the actual wall !!!!!

the only down side is you loose some space in each room because of the increased wall side. BUT !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
you save HALF the space because half of the tank is in one room while half is in the other room.

just a thought ;)

i know your feeling, the only problem with a standard wall is how thin the tank would be if it's a dividing wall. have you ever thought about removing a piece of the wall and replacing it with a tank? make the tank the actual wall !!!!!

the only down side is you loose some space in each room because of the increased wall side. BUT !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
you save HALF the space because half of the tank is in one room while half is in the other room.

just a thought ;)

Just a thought?

A thought I've had, actually!

What I've thought about doing is removing a piece of the wall to put the tank in... half the tank in one room, and half the tank in the other. Given that the dining room is immediately off the kitchen, putting the tank in that particular wall would make it visible from almost the entire living area of the house.

And for the stand, do a built-in... plaster and all so that much of it looks like the rest of the wall -- matching trim/baseboard on the bottom -- I think you get the general idea. Of course I'd need cabinet doors on one side to hold the filter, supplies, etc.

Dreaming can't hurt, right?

you have to just do it.
i didn't plan it either, i just put the tank in place and starting cutting holes in my sheetrock.
just like this
60421-albums9572-picture38869.jpg

i was like, WELL the hole is already started, might as well finish it.
then you start to get more creative as the project continues. i decided to blend my mouldings together to look like a single frame
60421-albums9572-picture38876.jpg

then when i was done it looked like this
60421-albums9572-picture39135.png

i didn't plan it, just happened as i went along. lol
before you know it, it starts taking shape and looking good.

worst case scenario, if it don't work, you put the wall back up.

I'm dying to start my in wall . I'm jealous , very beautiful tanks !!

thanks everyone!

No need to be JELLY, DO IT !!!!! then post pics, i love seeing other people's works, gives me more ideas.

;)

When I can afford to look at houses to buy, having a good place to do an in wall tank is one of my priorities! I'm pretty sure my landlord would hate me if I cut chunks out of the wall.

Back
Top Bottom