Lake moss

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Are you sure it's moss ? I've never thought that moss grows in north american lakes.. but I could be totally wrong.

Usually it's algae that I see, in the lakes in northern Ontario and Lake Ontario where I have swum or boated.

yes and no...if you harvest it and put it in quarantine for awhile to let the hitchhikers die off/hatch/leave you should be fine..I've done this before and a month of being inside in warm water and you see all kinds of things running around...you could also do a peroxide bath and kill most of it. but some plants in the wild are better off left there..out here we have several invasive plants and if caught with them you in deep do do, and no it doesn't matter if you were taking them home ( I asked)

Doesn't sound like a good idea to me. I would worry about pollutants and toxins more than hitchhikers.

i think it was the may issue of tropical fish hobbyist had an article about collecting local plants i have it at home and can post it later if you like

I would like to see that aquandrew if you don't mind.

And I agree Rivers2k, there are waters I wouldn't even consider taking from, but a bit of (un) common since plays a big part of it.

I would like to see that aquandrew if you don't mind.

And I agree Rivers2k, there are waters I wouldn't even consider taking from, but a bit of (un) common since plays a big part of it.

True there are some safe waters but very very few waters are untouched by man. Gas from boats, pesticides, and fertilizers flow into most water ways. I often wonder what I am drinking from my tap but that is another issue. I don't think it is worth the risk.

But as you touched on common sense isn't common anymore ;)

Back
Top Bottom