Lake Tanganyikan cichlids beginner questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GallonsOfFun

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi, so I was planning on stocking my 55 gallon tank with mbunas but then I read that the lake tanganyikan cichlids are more interesting behaviorally. The behavioral and personality aspect is what interests me most about fish, so could someone explain if this is true and exactly what these complex/interesting behaviors are? How do they act? Are they interactive with their owners?

Also, what are my options in terms of stocking a 55 with these cichlids? I know there are 3 or 4 different sorts (in terms of where they live & swim in the wild), so in a 55 should I stick to one type or have multiple? If anyone could provide some stocking list ideas that would be great.

Hi, My tank is mainly haps...

Hi, so I was planning on stocking my 55 gallon tank with mbunas but then I read that the lake tanganyikan cichlids are more interesting behaviorally. The behavioral and personality aspect is what interests me most about fish, so could someone explain if this is true and exactly what these complex/interesting behaviors are? How do they act? Are they interactive with their owners?

Also, what are my options in terms of stocking a 55 with these cichlids? I know there are 3 or 4 different sorts (in terms of where they live & swim in the wild), so in a 55 should I stick to one type or have multiple? If anyone could provide some stocking list ideas that would be great.

Hi, My tank is mainly haps...and has less aggression than my Mbuna experiences, in saying that my Nimbochromis fuscotaeniatus will not tolerate any Mbuna in his personal space. As fish lovers this is something we all like to avoid but on occasions the nasty side raises its ugly head and usually = death.
With my haps I have a few of Tanganyikan who are fine together : an alto` compressiceps. Black alto` calvus. and a Neolamprologus tretocephalus. These are the only Tanganyikan I have kept and are great looking fish in my aquarium and poses no problems.
Hope this helps
:fish1:

To answer your question, I have shortly delved into the African world. It was short lived because of the money it took to "overstock" and maintain my tank.

Anyway, in my community tank I had a couple of cichlids from lake tang. I always liked them more than the other Africans. (Except for my hongi's).

The reason I liked them is their mysteriousness. They are subtle, scared, but also curious. They keep to themselves. They don't try and bully with any other fish besides their own species. You bet though, if you have two male lake tang cichlids of the same species they will chase each other until one can't handle it anymore.

From my experience, they are smarter than other Africans.

I wouldn't necessarily say they interact with you like an Oscar or a flowerhorn, but they definitely know where they exist.

I hope this helps.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I think personally that all lakes have smart fish depending on species, you could take 3 different ones from different lakes that are the least aggressive and probably e successful at it. Of course tank size is another hurdle when it come to what you can have but also want. Wanting can be your worst enemy trust me.

Sent from my SM-G360T1 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom