Large amounts of buffering on preparation water

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

flanque

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hello,

Many of my buffers say that I should not exceed x amount of it per 24 hour period. For instance, if memory serves me correctly the calcium buffer says do not exceed 20mg / 200L per day.

I assume this is because of the affects on the fish, corals, etc.

What about on water that I am preparing for a water change? My tap water is typically very low on KH and the PH is right off.. is it okay to buffer them with as much as would be needed to get the various levels correct, in one treatment?

Do it in a couple of stages if large amounts. The main concern being possible precipitation. Overall though, it should not be a problem, really depends on the amount needed vs water volume. What are the levels and what are you trying to raise them to? What is the target salinity?

The warnings on the product are primarily for pH concerns.

Cheers
Steve

It's just on a 25L drum. The pH will be low, by how much I don't know, and the KH is usally low. CA as well. I haven't noted these so cannot quote but I do know they are usually right off.

What problem can happen with precipitation?

Sounds to me like the salinity is being mixed too low for all the numbers to be off like that. I would mix up a batch of new "untweeked" SW and see what the chemistry sits at after a day of mixing. Be sure remove the lid (if any) a few hours before testing the pH.

Please list ph, alk, Ca, temp and salinity. Mg if you have it.

What problem can happen with precipitation?
No real problem, just a bit messy. It can lower your levels even more and will generally cause (heat emitting) equipment to become coated.

Cheers
Steve

I'll mix up some over the next couple of days and reply to this message.

Back
Top Bottom