Large Cichlids Dying

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AprilMartinez

Aquarium Advice Activist
Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 20 ppm
120 gallon

3 bubble bee
3 demasoni
5 acei
7 moori
2 frontosa (I know)
2 auratus

Over the last few weeks, all of my large cichlids have died. There is no indication of ick, fungus, white spots, fin rot or any kind of infection in the tank. And it's only my largest cichlids that are dead. I had two 3" auratus and moori just disappear completely. Any idea why it's only the big ones? Everyone left in the tank is at/under 2". I've got one demasoni that is carrying fry. The tank is big enough for them and the frontosa are one of the smallest in there, so I don't think they are killing anyone at night. There's plenty of river rock, driftwood, and plants for coverage. I feed them 2-3 times a day, and I am very conscious of how much I put in the tank. I vary their diet between spirulina flakes (hope I spelled that right), cichlid pellets, and home made food. On the very rare occasion, blood worms. Any ideas?

At 3" or so is when most of the larger mbuna start "feelin' their oats", so to speak, and the auratus and bumblebees are the most aggressive species in that tank. The tank is plenty large enough, and large enough for quite a few more mbuna as well. Without knowin' more, my initial thought is that the auratus and/or bumblebees are startin' to mature, startin' to get more aggressive toward rivals and that there are not enough other fish in the tank to diffuse the aggression. Demasonis are pretty durn aggressive, as well, and if the others are no larger than the demasonis, the dominant demasoni could be the cause, though demasonis IME end up bein' more nuisance than threat to adult auratus, zebras, bumblebees, etc. I'd guess the moorii was a random casualty, and I'd be concerned that both the moorii and fronts could become casualies as the mbuna mature.

Personally, I wouldn't recommend keepin' moorii or fronts with any mbuna, but I have seen adult fronts (8"+) fare well with smaller mbuna. I'd suggest increasin' the number of mbuna in the tank to a minimum of 8 or 9 of each species, and then be prepared to remove excess males and trade them off to your LFS as the mbuna mature. This should spread out the aggression between more individuals. Hopefully, it may divert aggression from the moorii and fronts as the mbuna worry more 'bout rivals of their own species than any other fish that happens to be in the way.

If yer not set on the species ya have, ya could also look at tradin' the auratus and bumblebees in for less aggressive mbuna: various labs, cynotilapias, rusties, etc.

WYite

Well, I could combine the sixty gallon tank with that one. I've got five yellow labs, six rainbows, three red zebras, and a couple from a mixed cichlid tank from the LFS. Then Just keep that sixty g for plants. Move the fronts into it as well. What do you think?

AprilMartinez said:
Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 20 ppm
120 gallon

3 bubble bee
3 demasoni
5 acei
7 moori
2 frontosa (I know)
2 auratus

Over the last few weeks, all of my large cichlids have died. There is no indication of ick, fungus, white spots, fin rot or any kind of infection in the tank. And it's only my largest cichlids that are dead. I had two 3" auratus and moori just disappear completely. Any idea why it's only the big ones? Everyone left in the tank is at/under 2". I've got one demasoni that is carrying fry. The tank is big enough for them and the frontosa are one of the smallest in there, so I don't think they are killing anyone at night. There's plenty of river rock, driftwood, and plants for coverage. I feed them 2-3 times a day, and I am very conscious of how much I put in the tank. I vary their diet between spirulina flakes (hope I spelled that right), cichlid pellets, and home made food. On the very rare occasion, blood worms. Any ideas?

7 moorii ??? That you would need one humongous tank imo. Even for one it should probably be in a 6' tank because they get soooo big.

If it was me scratch what I said on the last post. The acei, yellow labs, fronts, moorii and whatever other fish you have that are mild aggressive need to go in the bigger tank.

In the other tank put the rest and up your numbers on the auratus and demasoni. No more bees they get to big but should be fine with more aggressive Cichlids

7 moorii ??? That you would need one humongous tank imo. Even for one it should probably be in a 6' tank because they get soooo big.

If it was me scratch what I said on the last post. The acei, yellow labs, fronts, moorii and whatever other fish you have that are mild aggressive need to go in the bigger tank.

In the other tank put the rest and up your numbers on the auratus and demasoni. No more bees they get to big but should be fine with more aggressive Cichlids

Well, it's a whole 'nother story if ya have a second tank to work with! Didn't realize that!

+1 to Andrew's second post, that is the combo that makes the most sense IMO, as well.

WYite

Back
Top Bottom