large fish destroying my plants

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ruth Ann

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I am so torn about what to do with my fish. I bought a 55 gallon tank from craigslist wanting to make it a planted tank. What I didn't know until I showed up, was that the thing came with fish, not to mention that it was a very strange combination of fish. I now have: 2 plecos- 8 inches and 10 inches. a 4 inch goldfish, a 4 inch South American cichlid, 2 angelfish, and a few tetras (I put those in my 20 gallon vivarium). I really want plants, but everything I've put in there either gets dug up or eaten. I have oil-dri in there as you can see, and it makes it cloudy because the plecos are always digging and the goldfish is always sifting mouthfuls of the substrate and spitting it everywhere.
So I've had these guys for around a month and I'm a little attached to them, I also feel silly about saying this (I mean, they're fish) but they've been together for about 5 years and I don't want to break up their little community by sending them away to the pet shop to be readopted. I may end up doing that, but I want to try some plants for now to see if it's possible. Any suggestions on which plants could work in this setup? I hate the sad colors of this tank without plants.

image-792496449.jpg

image-719773445.jpg

It may be worth trying a large sword plant or some hardy java fern, but the results may end up the same.

So basically I saw this product, idk where it was but imagine a mcdonalds lid but cutting it down to like 1 1/2 inchs to 2 inches in diameter around the spot where u put the straw, putting you plants stem where you would norm put the straw and putting the lid under the gravel will help keep your plants down as they cannot dig it all up you know, it's kinda like an anchor that's fish resistant lol

Back
Top Bottom