Large Oddball Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kr_Treefrog2

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
First of all, I'd like to thank all the members on here who have contributed to making this site an awesome resource for fish enthusiasts. Though I've only just officially signed up, I've been coming to this site for some time, and the hints, tips, and advice have helped immensely.

I've kept fish in the past, but only recently decided to take the plunge and bought a 120 gallon tank. Eventually, I'd like it to be an oddball community planted tank. So here's my question: Which fish? I know you guys hear this a lot, so let me be a bit more detailed.

I have a 120 gallon, 60"x18"x24" tank, filtered by two canister filters capable of filtering 525 gph each. The filters contain coarse, medium, and fine pads, bio balls, ceramic rings, Seachem Matrix stones, Seachem Purigen, and activated carbon. The tank is heated to 78 degrees by an inline heater, and monitored by a thermostat that will cut power should temperatures reach 80 degrees. The substrate is a 50/50 mix of Eco-Complete and fine rounded river rock/sand. A bubble wall is installed along the back of the tank. Eventually, I'd like to build up a wall of large, flat river slate, stacked up to make caves, ledges, and pass-throughs. I'd also like it to be med/heavily planted. It currently has two 30" florescent hood lights, but I plan to replace those with LEDs soon. As for the water itself, it's a blend of mostly RO water with a touch of liquid rock from the tap. The goal is a KH of around 5 and pH of 7. So far it's been treated with Seachem Prime and Stability. It's been set up for over a month and currently houses seven giant danios that are keeping up the nitrogen cycle.

On to the fish! I've always liked the strange and unusual, and my taste in fish hasn't proven to be any different. That's why I decided on an oddball community tank, particularly with larger fish. Guppies, platys, and swordtails are cool, but I want the kind of fish that when people look at the tank they think, "What the heck is that?" I've made a list of some of the fish I've found so far that I like, and I'd like to get more suggestions from you guys of interesting fish to make a balanced tank of upper, middle, and lower level swimmers. There are a few criteria, though.

Nothing under 3" adult size
Won't tear up/eat plants
Won't tear up/eat tankmates
Are peaceful in a community setting
Are strange/unusual/odd/cool/pretty

With that in mind, I'd also appreciate any feedback you guys have on some of the fish I've thought about adding.

King Galaxy Pleco (L282)
Columbian Shark/Jordan's Catfish (Debated whether fresh or brackish)
Angelfish
Discus (I've heard angels have a disease that kills discus? Info on that would be nice)
African Butterfly Fish
Reticulated/Teacup Stingray
Ornate Bichir
Tiger Oscar
Pearl Gourami
South American Puffer/Brazilian Banded Puffer
Indonesian Tiger Fish (Debated whether fresh or brackish)
Agassizi Cory Cats

Very cool build!

Gonna just throw out a few other options that might work depending on the stock:

African brown knife
Black ghost knife
Festivum cichlid
Leopard ctenopoma

Back
Top Bottom