Large Shell

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

faerykisses

Aquarium Advice Regular
My sister gave me one of those large conch shells. It basically looks like this:

97BZE-09-18-Conch-shell.jpg

I want to put this in my tank because I think it would be a cool place for my fishies to hang out. Just a few questions though.

1. Do you think that stuff (fish/hermits etc.) can get caught in there and not be able to get out?

2. How do I prepare this shell so that its safe to put in my tank? Can I just wash it with regular water and add to tank, or should I let it sit in some of my water from the tank for a while before putting it in?

3. Does anyone have any reason as to why this would/would NOT be a good addition to the tank.

TIA, I appreciate any comments.

i think some would say not to use it because it can biuld up waste and toxins due to not having any current flowing through. just what i have read and it kind of makes since.

Yeah very Nice!! I don't think you wanna use that in your tank, just go ahead and PM me for details on shipping ... :wink: :lol: :lol: :lol: !!!

I would rinse it really well and then let it sit in the sun for a few days to make sure you "Cook" anything that may be living inside of it! Other than that just drop it in your tank!

I would try and place it so that fish can hide in it, but your hermits and sich can't get a grip to climb into it.

Thanks guys....I was worried that some of the smaller guys would get stuck in there and meet their end. But if I stand it up I think it might work...I can at least try it and see. I just want to give them more to play with. :D

If anyone has any other reasons as to why I should/ should NOT use it, I would love to hear them. Thanks again.

Personal experience:

I have a feeling that it's going to become covered in ugly algae very soon. You will be taking it out and scrubbing it every few days. If that's ok, then go for it! It's a pretty shell, possibly worth the scrubbing.

I agrre with Diane. I had a few shells "much smaller" that I threw in my tank for hermits etc. . They are solid purple now with coralline.

Back
Top Bottom