Last fish died :( now what?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

KWas1837

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have a ten gallon tank that I have had 3 1-2 weeks. I fell for the lie that you can buy fish after letting it run 24 hours. I bought two fish, a snail, and a ghost shrimp. After the neon fish died that night, I found this forum and learned about the cycle. I still need to get back to the store to buy a kit, so I cannot test my water, currently. The snail became less active after the first day. It died almost ten days later. It had strings coming from it. I added three baby Mickey Mouse fish that a friend gave me. They too became stringy (poop, I think). I posted last week to see how to treat for a parasite, and someone said it sounded like nitrate poisoning, not a parasite.

Anyway, all of this to say the final fish is 99% dead. So what do I do? Do I keep cycling the water that is currently in there? Or do i take everything out, clean it, and start over?

Thanks!

Your Tank

I have a ten gallon tank that I have had 3 1-2 weeks. I fell for the lie that you can buy fish after letting it run 24 hours. I bought two fish, a snail, and a ghost shrimp. After the neon fish died that night, I found this forum and learned about the cycle. I still need to get back to the store to buy a kit, so I cannot test my water, currently. The snail became less active after the first day. It died almost ten days later. It had strings coming from it. I added three baby Mickey Mouse fish that a friend gave me. They too became stringy (poop, I think). I posted last week to see how to treat for a parasite, and someone said it sounded like nitrate poisoning, not a parasite.

Anyway, all of this to say the final fish is 99% dead. So what do I do? Do I keep cycling the water that is currently in there? Or do i take everything out, clean it, and start over?

Thanks!

Hello KW...

Actually, you didn't fall for a lie. The person gave you accurate information. You can add certain fish to a newly set up tank after a couple of days. The problem for you is the size of the tank. Small tanks aren't for a beginner. A 30 gallon tank is much better. If you're interested in the hobby, get at least a 30 gallon tank and before you do anything with it, ask questions about how to do a fish in cycle. It's efficient and not hard on any of the hardy species of fish.

B

Leave the water. Start a fishless cycle, no need to clean everything out.

Buy the test kit, and wait for the cycle to complete.

While you wait for the cycle, research fish that are suitable for a 10 gallons tank.

I will suggest:
Batta
Celestial Pearl Danio
Small Tetra (neon, ember etc)
Pygmy Cory Cats
Chili Rasbora
Cherry Shrimp
Nerite Snail

Make sure you keep an ammonia source with either a fish or fish food. The best way to do a fish in cycle is to change out around 25% of the water daily if you find yourself in that situation.

Back
Top Bottom