Last try!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GodFan

Aquarium Advice Addict
This is my last try! If I cant get help this time then I quit! I have tried to get help in 2 threads and nobody can help and then they lose interest in the thread.

I found a piece of driftwood in a local lake. Rinsed, scrubbed the living daylights out of, and poured 2 huge pots of boiling water over it and plopped it in. First month fine. Looked great! Then it started.
It grew brown snotty stuff all over it. I cantbget a decent pic but I found one online I will attach. The driftwood then spread it to all the plants and the back glass.
It looks kinda like diatoms mixed with snot. I put another piece of the same wood in another tank and boom. More. Took some plants and NO wood from that tank and put it in another tank. Apparantly the plants can spread it as well because that tank has it too.
Please help me. I do not want to be stuck with this and I dont want another tank teardown!

Thanks in advance and God bless!

diatom.jpeg

Very sorry to hear your other threads haven't worked out. I would take the driftwood out, and try to contain the problem. Also try physically removing the stuff off your plants as hard is you can. Bleaching may work.

Very sorry to hear your other threads haven't worked out. I would take the driftwood out, and try to contain the problem. Also try physically removing the stuff off your plants as hard is you can. Bleaching may work.

Thats the thing. The one tank never had driftwood in it! It came in on a plant that was in a tank with the wood!

Have you removed the DW? Have you tried spot treating it with hydrogen peroxide? Would you be able to remove all you stock and do a high dose (8ml peroxide per gallon of tank water) treatment?

Have you removed the DW? Have you tried spot treating it with hydrogen peroxide? Would you be able to remove all you stock and do a high dose (8ml peroxide per gallon of tank water) treatment?

Oh yes I forgot to mention. I did a 60ml treatment with hydrogen peroxide (36 gallon tank). I spot treated. It bubbled in one spot where I hit it good but didnt go away. One of the tanks is empty.

That is a light spot treatment not even 2ml peroxide per gallon. If there is no live stock, snails, shrimp, fish in the tank you can dose 8ml of H2O2 for ever gallon, that is 288ml of peroxide for a 36g tank. If that didn't kill it off I'm not sure much of anything would.

That is a light spot treatment not even 2ml peroxide per gallon. If there is no live stock, snails, shrimp, fish in the tank you can dose 8ml of H2O2 for ever gallon, that is 288ml of peroxide for a 36g tank. If that didn't kill it off I'm not sure much of anything would.

Well the 36 gallon has fish in it. The empty tank is a 25 gallon. I could try it in there.

This is my last try! If I cant get help this time then I quit! I have tried to get help in 2 threads and nobody can help and then they lose interest in the thread.

I found a piece of driftwood in a local lake. Rinsed, scrubbed the living daylights out of, and poured 2 huge pots of boiling water over it and plopped it in. First month fine. Looked great! Then it started.
It grew brown snotty stuff all over it. I cantbget a decent pic but I found one online I will attach. The driftwood then spread it to all the plants and the back glass.
It looks kinda like diatoms mixed with snot. I put another piece of the same wood in another tank and boom. More. Took some plants and NO wood from that tank and put it in another tank. Apparantly the plants can spread it as well because that tank has it too.
Please help me. I do not want to be stuck with this and I dont want another tank teardown!

Thanks in advance and God bless!
Since this picture was found online were you able to find any info on what it is?

You may have just gotten a bad few pieces of DW. I would remove that wood and replace it with different wood.

you cant just put any driftwood you find in a lake into your tank , only some woods are tank safe broheim. take that wood outta yer tank dude :facepalm:

OK. I've done some looking around. It's been a while since I kept fish and I just got back into it so I had to brush up on driftwood knowledge. :) It's very discouraging when you can't fix a problem or figure out what's causing it. Basically, your driftwood is leeching out it's sap/sugar into your tank, so it causes a thick, mucous type substance. It does clear up eventually, but since you couldn't boil it because of the size, it can take a lot longer. What I would suggest is for you to take the driftwood out and put it in your bathtub and pour boiling hot (iodized) saltwater on it. Put a plug in the tub because you will want to soak it in the saltwater for a while. This should help cure the driftwood and get rid of the sap. You might do a few sessions since it's such a big piece. As for the tank and plants, the substance should go away with frequent water changes and some time.

OK. I've done some looking around. It's been a while since I kept fish and I just got back into it so I had to brush up on driftwood knowledge. :) It's very discouraging when you can't fix a problem or figure out what's causing it. Basically, your driftwood is leeching out it's sap/sugar into your tank, so it causes a thick, mucous type substance. It does clear up eventually, but since you couldn't boil it because of the size, it can take a lot longer. What I would suggest is for you to take the driftwood out and put it in your bathtub and pour boiling hot (iodized) saltwater on it. Put a plug in the tub because you will want to soak it in the saltwater for a while. This should help cure the driftwood and get rid of the sap. You might do a few sessions since it's such a big piece. As for the tank and plants, the substance should go away with frequent water changes and some time.

I appreciate it but this is not sap as it is actively growing in a tank with no driftwood.

I was under the impression all driftwood was safe if it had soaked for years in a lake bexause all the yuck leeched out?

I appreciate it but this is not sap as it is actively growing in a tank with no driftwood.

I was under the impression all driftwood was safe if it had soaked for years in a lake bexause all the yuck leeched out?

i dunno i wouldnt trust it unless i saw the wood was completely dried out , and then only a hardwood like oak and such . but if your saying it has mucous stuff on it i would take it out its probably leeching out sap . i knew a guy that put a wood in his tank and it got like a whitish gel covering on it , well long story short he developed some kind of fungus in his tank that killed all his fish . he broke the tank down and did a full bleach clean on everything , set it back up with fish and the fungus still came back and killed all his fish again . finally got rid of it with some fungal medication i forgot the name .better to be safe and get rid of it and buy some wood from lfs

Last edited:
i dunno i wouldnt trust it unless i saw the wood was completely dried out , and then only a hardwood like oak and such . but if your saying it has mucous stuff on it i would take it out its probably leeching out sap . i knew a guy that put a wood in his tank and it got like a whitish gel covering on it , well long story short he developed some kind of fungus in his tank that killed all his fish . he broke the tank down and did a full bleach clean on everything , set it back up with fish and the fungus still came back and killed all his fish again . finally got rid of it with some fungal medication i forgot the name .better to be safe and get rid of it and buy some wood from lfs

But can this sap continue to grow without the wood? Because this stuffnis growing in a tank with no driftwood.

Sap doesn't grow. Sap=sugar and sugar feeds fungi, thus fungi grows due to the "food source" the the driftwood provides. When boiled, it speeds up this process and so that's why it clears up in 3-4 weeks. Unboiled driftwood, who knows how long it will last. Boiling it with plain water leeches the stuff most of the way out but iodized saltwater cures it and draws it all out.
Moral of the story, you should always find a way to boil driftwood. Also, even if it was sitting in a lake for years, it could retain some sap traces and who knows what kind of bacteria/fungus it's been growing deep inside the wood. :(
Exactly how long has this issue been going on for?

Sap doesn't grow. Sap=sugar and sugar feeds fungi, thus fungi grows due to the "food source" the the driftwood provides. When boiled, it speeds up this process and so that's why it clears up in 3-4 weeks. Unboiled driftwood, who knows how long it will last. Boiling it with plain water leeches the stuff most of the way out but iodized saltwater cures it and draws it all out.
Moral of the story, you should always find a way to boil driftwood. Also, even if it was sitting in a lake for years, it could retain some sap traces and who knows what kind of bacteria/fungus it's been growing deep inside the wood. :(

At least a month now maybe 2. I am still trying to figure out how it can grow in a tank with no driftwood though if it is sap! That is what is confusing me. In he tank that has no wood it is spreading still.

At least a month now maybe 2. I am still trying to figure out how it can grow in a tank with no driftwood though if it is sap! That is what is confusing me. In he tank that has no wood it is spreading still.

The above is indicating that there is a fungus growing that started out feeding off the sap from the driftwood. I don't know if it would do the job or not, just an idea, but what about an anti fungal treatment?

Are you doing a DIY co2 system (sugar and yeast mixture) in your planted tank that has no wood?
I like Trooper's idea on treating with antifungal meds.

Back
Top Bottom