Laterite and swords?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mr.Pleco

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hey guys, so I have a 150g planted tank. I was wondering if anyone had experience with Laterite, my swords aren't getting iron and the leaves are turning yellow and transparent. I use root medic root tabs, I read Laterite is iron rich and should help the swords. My substrate is all flora max.

Wondering where the best place to buy it would be?.. if it will kick start the growing. I have enough lighting and run co2. I have dry ferts but haven't figured out how to dose it yet and forgot what they are right now.

Thanks!

Using a clay based root tab would be a much simpler alternative. Lack of iron isn't the only thing that can make leaves yellow and transparent.

I don't like using the osmocote tabs because the release time is so slow on them, so a fast growing tank is probably not going to get all the nutrients it requires.

Are you dosing ferts into the column at all? Flourish has an iron product if you want to go that route.

Laterite is a pain to deal with, especially when you have to empty out a tank to put it down.

jetajockey said:
Using a clay based root tab would be a much simpler alternative. Lack of iron isn't the only thing that can make leaves yellow and transparent.

I don't like using the osmocote tabs because the release time is so slow on them, so a fast growing tank is probably not going to get all the nutrients it requires.

Are you dosing ferts into the column at all? Flourish has an iron product if you want to go that route.

Laterite is a pain to deal with, especially when you have to empty out a tank to put it down.

Glad you replied. I was thinking about just messaging you.
I heard its a pain. I haven't yet dosed any ferts. I have dry ferts but I'm not at home right now and don't recall the names. I know there is a thread about swords going but it's too much to read.

Didn't know if there was a long term iron supplement or just dosing dry ferts.

Back
Top Bottom