Leaking tank!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sgc1107

Aquarium Advice Freak
So today I realized my 10gl QT was leaking! Unfortunately I put a post here last week about salt creek in wired places and I guess no one knew so this one I learned the hard way! Now my question.... I was only cycling my QT, ammonia had just gone to 0 yesterday! Now that I replaced the tank will I need to cycle again? I moved all the water, didn't have to make up any. Is this going to set my QT cycle back? Or should I try and cycle it again?

The water doesn't gave BB in it. Were you using a hob filter on the one that leaked? Did you move that over? And was that filter out of water for long? If you moved the filter over, the filter should have BB. but if the filter went a period of time without water in it, at least some of the BB would have died off. Only way to know for sure would be to add ammonia source and see if it breaks it down into nitrates. The quickest way would be to add a small amount of liquid ammonia, then you don't have to wait for a shrimp to rot. But only use the ammonia that does NOT bubble when you shake it. I've only been able to find it at ACE hardware. Hope it's still cycled for you! :)

Beengirl said:
The water doesn't gave BB in it. Were you using a hob filter on the one that leaked? Did you move that over? And was that filter out of water for long? If you moved the filter over, the filter should have BB. but if the filter went a period of time without water in it, at least some of the BB would have died off. Only way to know for sure would be to add ammonia source and see if it breaks it down into nitrates. The quickest way would be to add a small amount of liquid ammonia, then you don't have to wait for a shrimp to rot. But only use the ammonia that does NOT bubble when you shake it. I've only been able to find it at ACE hardware. Hope it's still cycled for you! :)

It was still up and running when I changed it over I was only loosing about 1/2 oz an hour. My ammonia peeked at 4.0 a few days ago, so I'm nervous a new tank with clean glass will need to cycle again. My folder is the one with the bio wheel, bought it specially for holding the bacteria in the wheel. Proven to be a good little filter so far! Guess ill check parameters tomorrow and we where I'm at. Good thing I'm organized and have a chart!!!

Back
Top Bottom