Leaning Tower of Aquarium

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Regen311

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have a 55 gallon freshwater aquarium on an iron stand built to hold the aquarium. The problem is that the aquarium is tilted slightly forward. It's very concerning considering the size of the aquarium (don't want the whole thing to tip over). My dad measured the thing, and it's about 1/2 to 3/4 of an inch further from the wall on the top than on the bottom (near the floor). You can actually see the water is slanted. It did this in my apartment too, so it's not the floor. It has to be the stand. What's the deal? Is there anything I can do? My dad seems to want to keep sticking boards under the front part to push it back and make it level, but that idea sounds terrible to me. Do I just need a new stand? Has anyone else had this experience? I'm worried about stress on the tank (the seams) especially on such a large aquarium as well.

I would be concerned that is quite a bit off. I actually think shimming up the front legs with a board is a pretty good idea. Probably what I would do.

I would shim it up too. Use a hardwood like oak. The legs may press into a softwood like pine.

It's unlikely that the stand would ever tip over, but that much tilt will certainly stress the silicone seams.

If the floor is carpeted then there is a tack strip running along the wall under the carpet. Shimming is the solution or move the stand 2 1/2 " from the wall.

I too was thinking it might be a tack strip under the carpet.

Are you planning to put the boards under the front of the stand (on the floor) or the front of the aquarium (between stand and tank)?

You don't want them between the tank and the stand. That would put REALLY bad stresses into the seams of the tank.

I'd shim the legs as well. Drain the tank until very little water is left (or if you can completely drain, but I assume you have fish in), get some friends over to help evenly lift the tank along the front, and shim them. Oh and get a level, you shouldn't be eye-balling this one.

Oh and measure from the bottom of the tank to the water line (drain a bit of water so its below the top seam. Sometimes (on cheaper tanks) the plastic piece that goes around the top won't be perfectly even. The last thing you want to do is level to that and have the actual water not be level.

HTH

I had/have the same problem, although not as severe. All three of my tanks are on carpet, and all three lean in. Funny thing is, I leveled all of them before filling, and shimmed the front ends of all three, and they still aren't level. They are all >3" from the wall, the 55 is probably closer to 8" in to clear the HOB, but still leans a bit. So maybe over-shim a little!

newfound77951 said:
I had/have the same problem, although not as severe. All three of my tanks are on carpet, and all three lean in. Funny thing is, I leveled all of them before filling, and shimmed the front ends of all three, and they still aren't level. They are all >3" from the wall, the 55 is probably closer to 8" in to clear the HOB, but still leans a bit. So maybe over-shim a little!

Unless you shim with something that is very dense (say granite which is what I used in my office where the floor is REALLY uneven), the tremendous weight on small legs in an iron stand will cause most things to give a bit. It won't be near as bad with a traditional table stand, but the legs create so much force in such a small area that compression of all but the hardest materials are bound to occur.

FWIW I have wood stands on all 3 tanks, all of a different type (1 particle board "oak", 1 Sedona and 1 TV table), but that is another good point to consider.

SHIM THAT TANK!!! That far out of level is putting serious stresses on the seams, and although silicone is some amazing stuff, eventually you are headed for disaster, not to mention the fact that it could potentially fall forward and hurt someone very badly, destroy your apartment and the ones below you, or even kill a small kid.

Back
Top Bottom