Leather ID?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jermz79

Aquarium Advice Addict
This leather was sold to me as a Vietnam Leather?? Looked it up online and can find nothing close to it. Any Ideas?

Attachments

• leather1_208.jpg
    leather1_208.jpg
    58.5 KB · Views: 21
  • leather2_614.jpg
    leather2_614.jpg
    54.4 KB · Views: 40
Wont be long and it will look like this

img_659845_0_cdc72857ff94b75e7fa2c145c2969929.jpg

Here is a pic I pulled off Google of a Lobophytum Leather, commonly called Rose Leather, although I did see some Devils Hand Leathers that came up with the Lobophytum search to me there is a striking difference, one being the thickness of the fingers.
If you see mine closely resembles this one ...
Tell me what you guys think?

And mel .... do you have any issues with that leather being so near your Frogspawn? I've read that Leathers can throw out some nasty Chemical warfare if there placed to close to an LPS?

Attachments

• lobophytum_191.jpg
    lobophytum_191.jpg
    59.7 KB · Views: 23
That`s a branching anchor coral or hammer coral whichever you call it and they`ve been there for three years so far. I do know what you are saying and I`ve always kept an eye out but so far so good. And yes you`re pic looks closer to his than mine. I think mine is actually a thin finger leather. I`ll have to get the identification expert Fluff to help me out. Thanks Jermz

Thanks melosu, I only wish I were an expert on ID'ing corals. :)

I've never heard of a vietnam leather. The common names they give some corals are just wierd. To me it looks like a devilshand or finger leather. These leathers can vary greatly in shape. Other than to say it's a Lobophytum sp., which you've concluded on your own, I really can't offer more. Lobophytum covers a pretty diverse group (fingers, lobed, devil's hand, cabbage, etc, ). Sorry I can't be more specific/helpful.

Back
Top Bottom