Leaving fish with a sitter foe a week

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Camogirl28

Aquarium Advice Activist
I am leaving my fish with a sitter got a week . Is there any special things I should tell her about them . First time being a way from them so any advice would be great .

Okay so I assume that you do Weekly Water Changes and depending on how long it'll be since you will be doing another one, you may want them to do it for you.

Make sure that they don't feed too much. I've had way too many sitters feed way more than I suggested because "the fish still looked hungry". Show them how much and tell them no more.

Other than that there's not much else. Have them keep an eye out for all the fish and that there are no deaths or sick fish in the aquarium.

Well the tank shouldn't need any major maintenance while you're away, the only thing that'll pop up is feeding.

You can either let them feed (an possibly overfeed) your fish or you can not feed the fish (the fish should be ok after a week with no food)

Before you go do a large water change to get as much clean water into the system as you can, everything should be ok!

Have fun! ^_^

Ok thanks I will show them how to feed and take out dead or sick fish

Feeding wise get one of those daily pill boxes that have the days on it, like old people use. Fill each one with how much you want to feed then hide your can of food so you know they won't be overfed. If you have to dose anything you can get oral syringes, the no needle one, and prefil each one.

I would use one zip lock snack bag for every day you are gone and put the food for each day in there, plus a couple extras in case you do not get back in time.

Just let them know that if they miss a day do NOT feed double.

In addition to the clean water filter, or what ever you need to do.

The worst times I have had in my tanks is when people come over and feed the fish, or don't and then put it all in at once. Had the most disasters with my friends, pet sitters, even those who have their own fish!!!!!

Make sure you have a decent amount of dechlorinator in case of emergency.

What should they do if the power goes out Plan?

Back
Top Bottom