Leaving for Christmas Break

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

chinoanoah

Aquarium Advice Freak
I am leaving my fish in my dorm room for 25 days during christmas break. (10g planted with 2 GBR and 3 lemon tetras). I can have someone feed them every so often but do not expect any regular feeding.... And I was planning on leaving the lights on the whole time, bad idea?

Your thoughts on what I should do would greatly be appreciated!

-Noah

Invest in a timer (it is good for everyday use too) ... 24 hr of light isn't good for fish or plants, plus you might have a ton of algae after a month.

For that long a time, you might want to have someone do a pwc once or twice during that period.

You can get a timer at Target or Walmart for $10-- marketed for xmas tree lights. Works great.

Yeah, a PWC would be important for that period of time.

However, problem is, keep in mind most universities will not let you keep ANYTHING plugged in (and do checks after everyone's out to make sure and may fine you for it). My fish are coming home with me, partly for that reason.

I have been able to get the digital timers at dollar general for $7....well worth it!! I agree...I definitely wouldn't leave the lights on and I would get someone to do a partial water change at least once during that time. I also would strongly advise someone on the correct way to feed, as most people tend to overfeed a tank that are "babysitting" a tank. LOL....my husband did it to one of mine before.

I agree with a timer and set it for 7 hrs a day of light. You could get away with feeding 1x per week if it is hard to get someone to come every 3-4 days but

definitely show them how much to feed.....the other option is to use a small vacation feeder and have some extras on hand for your caretaker to drop in once the last one is gone.

You could get away with feeding 1x per week if it is hard to get someone to come every 3-4 days but

definitely show them how much to feed

Controlling the amount of food is key, as people often love to overfeed the "hungry fish". My best advice would be to get one or two of the pill cases with a section for each day of the week. Fill each section with a day's worth of food, and then hide the rest.

Controlling the amount of food is key, as people often love to overfeed the "hungry fish". My best advice would be to get one or two of the pill cases with a section for each day of the week. Fill each section with a day's worth of food, and then hide the rest.
very good idea. along with the others. when i got away i cut back on feedings to one - two times a week. less food = less waste = less chance for anything to go wrong.

Back
Top Bottom