Led Cause issues?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

derek75

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Just purchased my first led's so I can start getting coral. Picked up the new hydra 26 HD. 2 of them for my 75gallon. So my issue is that since I got these my fish started looking rough. Does anyone know if there are any issues when introducing led lights? Big jump from my 4 foot fluorescent that's been on it for 2 years. Any help would be great.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Last edited by a moderator:
Which lights do you have?

Black Box BridgeLux 165w LED Units.
Ran Hydras for about a year, didn't like em. Ran em at 100% Didn't bother anything in my tank.

I also run LED'S with no issues what's your water quality like with regards to

Nitrates
Ammonia
Nitrite
PH
Temp

That's where I would look as well as possible diet or contamination / disease possibly.

What fish do you have and do you run carbon and when you say rough how are they looking a picture of the fish you say look ill will also help :)

I recently changed from VHO`s that I had for 15+ yrs and went with LED`s. They are brighter then flourecent bulbs and give a different look to corals and fish.

All my parameters are where they should be. Temp is between 78 and 80. I have 3 tang, foxface, coral beauty; 2 blue eye Anthea. 2 clown and a blue green chromis. I'll get a pic tonight when I get home.

All my parameters are where they should be. Temp is between 78 and 80. I have 3 tang, foxface, coral beauty; 2 blue eye Anthea. 2 clown and a blue green chromis. I'll get a pic tonight when I get home.

Could be the stocking level or aggression

:eek: 3 tangs , fox face , coral beauty , 2 Athena's , 2 clowns , and a chromis
in a 75g tank my first response way overstocked ,
I doubt the light has anything to do with why your fish look beat up,
I would have to agree with CG on this more like aggression 3 tangs in 75g is a fighting match looking to happen I wouldn't have 3 tangs in my 90g for this very same reason , I would consider re-homing the tangs or upgrading to a bigger tank , my #1 concern would be the stock in your tank and lightening the load some before even thinking of coral

The only aggression 8n this setup is between the foxface and the lavender. Once the lavender for big it got balls and started messing with the foxface. The tangs all get along. I would never keep them together if they didn't. Rehoming either the foxface or lavender may have to be what I do. The kole eye is the one that looks beat. Noone bothers him. He just looks sick and skinny. They are all in QT at the moment.

Kole eye is gone. Died in quarantine. Just hoping nothing else was going on.

Well that was quick, pretty sure I see ich on television foxface and lavender. I'm taking them all out and putting them in quarantine tonight.

Typos sorry

If you see ich on any of the fish then theres ich in the whole tank and its there to stay until you do a fallow period on the tank. Taking the fish that show ich out isn't going to fix anything.

If anything, ich is a sign of stress as a healthy tank can keep it at levels where its not problematic. The stress is likely due to the overstocking.

I have just had Ich myself and only way to deal with it in the DT is go fallow for at least 12 weeks to rid the system of it.

I have a kole myself and it does need a good diet I have found in QT it was not that keen on copper either and it's skin went blotchy and pale.

Since being back in the DT after the fallow period and feeding well it has now gone back to normal I have a lot of tangs myself and they do eat a lot.

I always have a Grazer ring in there as well as Nori on a clip they get fed a varied diet of

Nori
PE mysis
Plain mysis
Brinshrimp
Chopped mussel
New Era Aegis pellet
New Era Aegis flake
New Era marine pellets
New Era Marine flake
New Era marine Grazer ring
Ocean nutrition spirulina flakes
Ocean nutrition formula one pellets

They are obviously not all fed at once but I rotate the feeds and have found they love them all and remain healthy.

Well that's what is going to happen then. They are all in a 40 breeder now. Not sure why it took over 2 years to show its ugly face but it did. Kole eye was m6 favorite so I'd love to get another.

And lavender tang will be last to go back in. Maybe it will chill him out a bit.

Were the fish beat up before but you only noticed it with the brighter lights?

I've beaten Ich before without transferring fish. My fish are pretty big so putting everyone in another tank wasn't an option. I used garlic on food and used voogle which is an immune booster.

Sent from my XT1585 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom