LED lighting options

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I went from two single 24-36 on my 48 long tank to a single double 48-60 and it almost puts out double the light. Really makes all my fish colors stand out now. Happy with the upgrade!

Good intel TacoEater! I'll pick up the double 24"-36" today and try for a masterpiece photo (Ansel Adams) later tonight with my 4s:)

Here's a vid with the fluorescent bulb 17w 24in. Get your popcorn ready!:)
I couldn't find any marineland double bright at my LFSs, so today I ordered one on amazon for a Feb 5-8 delivery.

I couldn't find any marineland double bright at my LFSs, so today I ordered one on amazon for a Feb 5-8 delivery.

I think that's a good choice!

Nice tank like the drift wood

For what it is worth, the marineland fixtures are not all that great for planted tanks or reef tanks. They use diodes that are less than 1W each, and PAR at depth is pretty abysmal in all but very shallow tanks. While they are capable of growing some low and even medium light plants depending on the circumstances, I would not recommend them as a lighting solution. There are far better fixtures out there when it comes to LEDs. However, if it is just to provide lighting in a fish only tank, they would be fine.

EDIT: sorry, just read that you already bought it. Hopefully it works out ok for you.

I agree with Justin, there light is good for... Well... A light but IMO and IME that's pretty much it. I have one on my 75g cichlid tank now because I don't have any plants and basically didn't want to run my 4 bulb t5 HO fixture on the tank anymore.

I feel this light gives a more natural look. But to grow anything I'd say there are better options.

Good luck though.

image-702687911.jpg

I agree with Justin, there light is good for... Well... A light but IMO and IME that's pretty much it. I have one on my 75g cichlid tank now because I don't have any plants and basically didn't want to run my 4 bulb t5 HO fixture on the tank anymore.

I feel this light gives a more natural look. But to grow anything I'd say there are better options.

Good luck though.

You have the double bright correct? How does it do with bringing out the colors?

Yes it's the double bright. I like it, now don't get me wrong it's not my 4 bulb t5 with ATI bulbs of purples and blues etc. but with the black sand and the added driftwood I wanted to take the natural look to the next level and IMO the colors of the ATI bulbs were hurting me in achieving that goal.

So I went with the ML DB.

Nice 75g! You can see the 1w diode beams of light shinning down.
Id like to do a planted aquarium someday. As I've noticed recently, the best LED fixtures with timers will cost a pretty penny.
For my plant less Mbuna corral, I think the double bright will be an upgrade.

Nice 75g! You can see the 1w diode beams of light shinning down.
Id like to do a planted aquarium someday. As I've noticed recently, the best LED fixtures with timers will cost a pretty penny.
For my plant less Mbuna corral, I think the double bright will be an upgrade.

Thanks T I like the beams shinning down,it just looks so natural to me.

I put the marineland 36-48 double bright on my 40g high. I love it. Here is a pic

Attachments

• image-215605640.jpg
    image-215605640.jpg
    158.4 KB · Views: 109
I'm about to buy a "Marineland LED single or double bright 24"-36"
Would a double be mo better?
Is Marineland quality lighting, or would I be happiest going another route?
Marineland is ok. I've heard there are a lot of problems with the led systems. I just got the fluval led light the 48" one. It's much brighter and a more natural light not like the marineland one. That one has more ad a spotlight effect to it. It also has better moon lighting than the marineland. It cost me 200$ at my lfs and well worth it. My fish love it.

Marineland is ok. I've heard there are a lot of problems with the led systems. I just got the fluval led light the 48" one. It's much brighter and a more natural light not like the marineland one. That one has more ad a spotlight effect to it. It also has better moon lighting than the marineland. It cost me 200$ at my lfs and well worth it. My fish love it.

Could you upload a few pictures? Please

A vid if possible. I'll upload a vid of my double Marineland when it arrives next week for compare/contrast.

This also has a plastic cover and its sealed so so evaporation will have any effect on it. I don't believe the marineland one does. Also this fluval has 2,800 lumens I believe the marineland one only have 1,800.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    237.7 KB · Views: 85
Last edited:
It looks good. You just have to take into account that with black sand and dark driftwood the light will look different. Not saying anything bad about the light but things do factor in.

Also IMO those moonlights are just way too bright. It's a nice light don't get me wrong but I'm partial to my ML DB

image-3396957239.jpg

Back
Top Bottom