LED lighting

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Readingexcalibur said:
Well yes and no. LEDs still get warm. But at the diode. There is still wattage draw when you have multiple LEDs on a strip. With LEDs the heat is drawn up or away from the fixture. Where a halide for example transfers hear where it's aimed. I was taking about the contact point where it plugs in. 100 LEDs on a strip will create some amount of heat.

So you would recommend a metal halide fixture? Know of any good ones that can grow any type of coral in a 75 gallon tank that aren't too outrageous in price?

I'm saying you halides are trusted and true. But have more flaws with things like heat. I'm recommending a nice led fixture. Specifically a 3w per led fixture for example. Either way you will be fine, in the long run LEDs are cheaper and more reliable IMO.

Readingexcalibur said:
I'm saying you halides are trusted and true. But have more flaws with things like heat. I'm recommending a nice led fixture. Specifically a 3w per led fixture for example. Either way you will be fine, in the long run LEDs are cheaper and more reliable IMO.

Do you have a link for a good inexpensive one that I can grow any Corals in?

If you want 3w LEDs and bang for your buck get 2 of the taotronics 120w dimmable LED fixtures. They are tough to beat for the price, you might be able to get away with just one for a while and then buy another one a little later to make it a little easier on the wallet, they can be found on eBay or amazon for about 175-200 for the non dimmable and 175-225 for the dimmable. I would spend the extra and get a dimmable one. They would be hard to build it yourself for the price.

Saratj1 said:
If you want 3w LEDs and bang for your buck get 2 of the taotronics 120w dimmable LED fixtures. They are tough to beat for the price, you might be able to get away with just one for a while and then buy another one a little later to make it a little easier on the wallet, they can be found on eBay or amazon for about 175-200 for the non dimmable and 175-225 for the dimmable. I would spend the extra and get a dimmable one. They would be hard to build it yourself for the price.

2 of them? Are they 48" each or 24"?
175 bucks is a really good deal for LEDs! Is taotronics a good reliable brand?

I believe they are 24". 184 for the taotronics. It says they are 3w rated but actually push 2w. Still great for lps and softies. Don't know about any sps. I'd say these are the best bang for your buck like said above. You could start with 1 set and have your coral under it. Eventually get another.

Remember. The led light "beam" is very linear, so make sure your corals are under it or really close. I believe these are the ones mr x has used and he lives by them.

I wouldn't say taotronics is a reliable brand,But I wouldn't reccomend you to buy something that I wouldn't or haven't bought myself, if you want a reliable brand there's only a few and they start at $500 on up and most are less powerful than these chinese fixtures . these same fixtures are marketed under many different brand names, and alot with no brand name at all, so do some shopping for 120w aquarium led, I believe there is a 220w model also, but it's not as cheap, you'd probably be better off getting 2 of the 120w models. If your worried about a return policy buy it off eBay from a reputable seller, PayPal will cover you for a month. I bought one for my sister like that, and we are impressed, it's going over a 27g cube.

Readingexcalibur said:
I believe they are 24". 184 for the taotronics. It says they are 3w rated but actually push 2w. Still great for lps and softies. Don't know about any sps. I'd say these are the best bang for your buck like said above. You could start with 1 set and have your coral under it. Eventually get another.

Remember. The led light "beam" is very linear, so make sure your corals are under it or really close. I believe these are the ones mr x has used and he lives by them.

Alright guys what about a T5 fixture?
That's what I have on my little 20 an all my corals love it(don't have any SPS) but couldn't I find a good inexpensive 48" maybe 4 bulb t5 fixture?
Or are you guys saying led is the best way to go?

armyman16 said:
Alright guys what about a T5 fixture?
That's what I have on my little 20 an all my corals love it(don't have any SPS) but couldn't I find a good inexpensive 48" maybe 4 bulb t5 fixture?
Or are you guys saying led is the best way to go?

Well led is cost affective in the long run (no replacement bulbs, cheaper draw on your electricity bill). But you could go to petco and get a 4 bulb 48" T5HO fixture for 120 w/o the bulbs.

I say taotronics led off amazon. I love these fixtures, never had any issue at all. It all depends on your budget I guess.

Readingexcalibur said:
Well led is cost affective in the long run (no replacement bulbs, cheaper draw on your electricity bill). But you could go to petco and get a 4 bulb 48" T5HO fixture for 120 w/o the bulbs.

I say taotronics led off amazon. I love these fixtures, never had any issue at all. It all depends on your budget I guess.

I wanna get something that I don't have to worry about any corals...how many watts would I need for my 75 gallon?
An you said that if I get the led I would have to have corals directly below and then I thought about it and I think tanks that are lit by t5s or metal halide look better to me I guess by the way they distribute the light

You don't have to put anything directly under LEDs, without optics they generally come with a 120 degree output, you can put optics on LEDs to focus the light if you wanted, but if the led fixture was 24" wide I would feel good putting it over 36" of water and expect really good coverage.

If you wanted to have enough light for anything you put in your 75g tank you would probably need either 6x t5ho's, 2x250w metal halides, or 200w + of LEDs. That what I would be shooting for.

Changing out bulbs for the t5's or metal halides would cost around $150 a year for good quality bulbs. Leds should last 7+ years.

Good bulbs for 48" t5ho's would probably be around $30ea , metal halides are around $65 ea.

Saratj1 said:
If you wanted to have enough light for anything you put in your 75g tank you would probably need either 6x t5ho's, 2x250w metal halides, or 200w + of LEDs. That what I would be shooting for.

Changing out bulbs for the t5's or metal halides would cost around $150 a year for good quality bulbs. Leds should last 7+ years.

Good bulbs for 48" t5ho's would probably be around $30ea , metal halides are around $65 ea.

Have any good links for the best brand of these lights?

Have any ideas how much I could put my light on Craigslist for?
It's a 4x96 watt compact fluorescent Current USA power compact fixture with a little bit of damage on the top, not sure what from but still in good condition
Will take pictures when I get home

The problem is if you ask too much, people won't get it. It's a limited market to sell an aquarium light. Maybe 100 to a 150?!?!

Looks good, if you've got 4x96w powercompacts already, I dont see it being very much of an upgrade, but maybe. I like that overflow box for $60. I'd buy that.

http://dallas.craigslist.org/ftw/for/3036763790.html
And this one!
I had posted this one earlier but decided to do a T5 fixture instead because my dad doesn't want to pay the huge bill each month for the electricity costs of the T5(but I'm sure I can talk him into letting me get a T5 fixture)
Do the pros of a LED fixture outweigh the cons?
Does anyone have any tanks that they can take pictures of that have a LED fixture on it?

Saratj1 said:
Looks good, if you've got 4x96w powercompacts already, I dont see it being very much of an upgrade, but maybe. I like that overflow box for $60. I'd buy that.

Haha thanks but I already have a sump that I just converted over to a refugium

Back
Top Bottom