Led lighting

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Easyaqua

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hey there just wondering if some one could tell me the benefits of LEDs in a planted tank.
Ps right now I have about 3-4 hours a day of direct sunlight which is create heaps of algae

The benefit for me is the low running cost for my setup. There is also little to no energy wasted creating heat.

I have a 20g long which is about 14 inches deep with sunstrate + water and I grow low light plants very easily.

I have a Beamswork 78 LED (0.6 watts each) and the fixture is 16 inches total from the substrate.

I grow Elodea/Egeria Densa, Java Fern, Water Sprite, Twisted Vallis and Marimo Moss balls with no problems at all. Admittedly the growth isn't explosive but they are healthy and growing steadily.

I dose API leaf zone sparingly, no co2.

The biggest benefit is long term cost. Unless a LED blows out you shouldn't have to replace a "bulb" for something like ten years. Power savings is sort of negligible unless you are running a lot of lights. Heat transferred into the tank is a lot less but you have to dissipate the heat from the back side or the LEDs will suffer a much shortened life span or failure.

Sweet I have a 70 litre that I am going to add LEDs to. Thanks heap for your advice , also do you know if different colours do different things for plants

The white ones produce the proper spectrum for freshwater planted, the rest are just for looks. That said, I would still add some royal blues to the mix along with maybe a red and cyan/green (quantity depends on tank footprint).

Of course, this is assuming you are talking about good high quality LEDs and not some cheapo fixture that can't support plant life.

blert said:
Of course, this is assuming you are talking about good high quality LEDs and not some cheapo fixture that can't support plant life.

Don't agree with that at all. I see comments like that all of the time and it is not always true, unless I am the only person in the universe who is able to grow plants perfectly well with a 'cheapo' LED setup.

pjb_1986 said:
Don't agree with that at all. I see comments like that all of the time and it is not always true, unless I am the only person in the universe who is able to grow plants perfectly well with a 'cheapo' LED setup.

I guess it depends on what you are trying to grow. All the plants you listed need almost no light to grow and you stated yourself that you are not seeing any appreciably fast growth and you have 70-something of them on a 20 long where it would only take 18 high powered ones to thoroughly light a 20 long and put it into high light. Low powered LEDs can work, I don't doubt it, but it takes a whole lot of them and it is not cost effective when good one-three watt LEDs are so cheap now-a-days.

blert said:
when good one-three watt LEDs are so cheap now-a-days.

I agree that higher powered LEDs would be better, but they are still quite expensive for pre-made fixtures, do you agree?

I think they can be made cheaply if you have the necessary DIY electronics skills.

The higher powered version of my fixture was an additional £100 ($150) on top of what I paid.

pjb_1986 said:
I agree that higher powered LEDs would be better, but they are still quite expensive for pre-made fixtures, do you agree?

I think they can be made cheaply if you have the necessary DIY electronics skills.

The higher powered version of my fixture was an additional £100 ($150) on top of what I paid.

I agree, yes. But you are getting a lot for the price if you do your research and shop around. As far as DIY, it's not the price of the LEDs that gets you it's the price of good drivers and heat sinks that jack up the price.

My plants I currently have are java moss and elodea but I am wanting to grow dwarf sag or another grassing plant so when I get my new 100l I can do a nice aquascape any good low light plant ideas ?

Easyaqua said:
My plants I currently have are java moss and elodea but I am wanting to grow dwarf sag or another grassing plant so when I get my new 100l I can do a nice aquascape any good low light plant ideas ?

Java Fern, Wisteria, Crypts, Anubias, Bleheri Sword, Lemon Bacopa, H.Corymbosa, the list goes on. Dwarf Sag will also grow under low light but it will grow taller and not produce as many sprouts as it could.

Sweet thanks heaps I will have a look at the availability of those plants in my area as I live in New Zealand. Also is 22 degrees warm enough water Im scared to push it higher because of the 8 resident White Cloud Mountain minnows

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom