Led Lighting

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

silverwater

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
i have a 24 inch deep 65gallon tank that i am planning on planting and i was wondering if anyone has tried the finnex planted+ led lighting, and if so if it would work very well for a tank that needs meduim lighting, and if it wont then which les light is best?

No experience with the Finnex, but I have the same sized tank and the BML Dutch XB light with a 90° angular fixture should easily put you into the medium range. I have their fixture with a 75° light angle that focuses a blast of high light on my front carpet plants and several dome fixtures for all the tall, background plants.

Sent from my SM-T310 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

You'd need 2 for medium light, you won't be disappointed for the money..i have one in my 16" tall and it's growing med light lights extremely well

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I have one on my 18 in tank and would say I am low to low Medium but plants are growing great.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Pound for pound the ray 2 is more powerful bur I prefer the planted plus because it offers reds and blues.. reds benefit plants and blues make the fish pop..

so if i could only get one or the other (cause i wouldent be able to get two planted+s right away) which would be a better choice for a tank as deep as mine?

I'd say get the ray 2 and you can always add a planted plus later.. or get the one planted plus and stick to low light plants until you can double up..

I would go with planted +. I love the red and blues along with the moonlight feature.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

You tell me.. 4 months with the planted plus..

Attachments

• 1404331903585.jpg
    1404331903585.jpg
    77.1 KB · Views: 55
  • 1404331912944.jpg
    1404331912944.jpg
    251.7 KB · Views: 60
It's the same tank, before and after shot over 4 months. It's 16" deep

mines 24 do u think the light will penetrate deep enough?

No. You can also get your led from buildmyled.com. that's what I had to do for my 24" tall tank. Just compare the PAR ratings.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Aquarium Advice mobile app

If I was home, I'd post a pic of my 65g with just my BML fixture turned on so you can see what it's like with a 75° fixture. It's like a laser beam of light that hits my medium/high carpet plants at the bottom. And some of my medium height plants in the middle of the tank are also enjoying some of the spectrum.

This was about ten weeks ago. Before my BML arrived. Only two CFL spirals.

Attachments

• 1404363423532.jpg
    1404363423532.jpg
    139.4 KB · Views: 61
This is about two weeks ago. The plants on the right have doubled in height, even after cutting in half and replanting, the fuzzy stems on the left have also doubled in height and the tops have turned pink. My reinecki and ludwigia repens in the back are both fairly red, too. The amazon sword is a beastly grower, too.

Note: I don't have co2 so I've had to fight off black beard, a red bacterial bloom, and a green/blue bloom (happened while I was gone for three days without glut dosing). I'm up to 9-10mL of gluteraldehyde per day.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Attachments

• 1404360042294.jpg
    1404360042294.jpg
    239.4 KB · Views: 53
On your heater, is that algae? Don't you need to kill that algae to reduce algae spores?

Nice tank BTW!

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom