LED lights & plants quick question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bluegirl

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I'm used to having live plants in my tank but my old tank set up had a full spectrum fluorescent tube light- my plants grew like crazy and I loved it! My new 55 gallon is plant less ( none survived the transfer I believed due to some water quality problems that are now resolved) I'd like to replant but it dawned on me that my new lighting system might not support proper plant health. Unfortunately I can't tell you much about the lights themselves because it came in a kit and nothing is specified about their strength or anything. All I know about them is that there are white and blue ones during the day and I can switch them to just blue or off at night. Also can changing the light type stress out fish or don't they seem to care?

If it came in a kit it is probably low to very low. You might be able to grow some anubia, java fern and crypts. But you will be really limited. I got a topfin kit that had leds and all but my anubia struggled, I didn't wait to find out how bad the lighting was on my aqueon kit I just went ahead and ugraded so I could got straight to the highlight plants that I really wanted to grow. Also in those lights any plants you get will grow incredibly slow. My anubia only grew 1 new leaf in 4 months.

Well while that was a little disappointing to hear I'm glad you told me that. I will definitely look for low light plants to hold me over until I can afford to upgrade to stronger lighting in my tank. Thank you.

Back
Top Bottom