LED lights vs VHO

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fishdoc

Aquarium Advice Regular
I am about to switch from FOWLR to REEF. I now have an empty ~130g hex front tank. I have a PC light with 130W and I am looking into upgrading so I can keep shrooms, soft corals and perhaps an anenome. I have seen some LED lights touted as an alternative to MH. Does anyone have experiance? CHeck out this one, I could likely retrofit two into my hood. I have also seen a VHO used light for sale for $50, runs 4 110W bulbs. Bulbs need to be replaced
let me know what you think.
WHITE + BLUE LED Aquarium Reef corals grow light Panel - eBay (item 390030945505 end time Mar-15-09 00:34:44 PDT)

I tend to think that the LEDs you are looking at are not going to be sufficient. The LED technology that has been developed for reef tanks, is for the most part, very expensive when it's designed to be to sole source of light for the tank. I mean, look at the Solaris fixtures...you're talking like over $2,700.00 for one of those. The VHO fixture souinds like a great deal, as long as nothing but the bulbs is burned out, and the length is sufficient for your tank.

Back
Top Bottom