LED's and plants

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Color temp is fine.

Where do you see they are 1.3 watt LEDs? I see a "module level power" of 1.3 but not sure what that means. If that is the watts then they are 0.6 watts per LED (2 LEDs per module). These won't support plants, or you would need a mass amount of them but penetration will be an issue and it will be very low PAR.

At best they would be super low lighting.

Yeah, that's what I was worried about, I don't think they'll be strong enough to penetrate. Wasn't positive what the numbers and abbreviations were, I was taking my best guess. Thanks for pointing that out blert.

Billbug68 said:
Yeah, that's what I was worried about, I don't think they'll be strong enough to penetrate. Wasn't positive what the numbers and abbreviations were, I was taking my best guess. Thanks for pointing that out blert.

What if I used the LED's but also use my old lamp from the 55g aquarium? Could I just put a bulb in for plant growth? I'm not sure this would be enough though.

What if I used the LED's but also use my old lamp from the 55g aquarium? Could I just put a bulb in for plant growth? I'm not sure this would be enough though.

What is your old light?

Here's a pic of my 75 gallon with very low lighting (a single T8 bulb, full spectrum 8000K).

Attachments

• image-827017791.jpg
    image-827017791.jpg
    166 KB · Views: 44
blert said:
What is your old light?

Here's a pic of my 75 gallon with very low lighting (a single T8 bulb, full spectrum 8000K).

Here's what I have. I can replace the light and put one in for plant growth

Attachments

• image-95390952.jpg
    image-95390952.jpg
    166.3 KB · Views: 39
  • image-3064197056.jpg
    image-3064197056.jpg
    91.1 KB · Views: 38
Your tank is 6 feet long?

EDIT: I'm thinking two 36" t5 fixtures might be the way to go. Odyssea has some affordable fixtures, however I cannot vouch for their quality as I've never owned one. I don't think anybody makes a 6' fixture... Haha

To do a proper LED setup on that tank would take, at the lowest number, 108 good 3watt LEDs to get complete coverage. That's over $300 in LEDs, not including: drivers, heat sinks, wiring, misc and time.

Yes, there are six foot fixtures.

Billbug68 said:
Then I say go for a 72" t5ho fixture with proper bulbs and save yourself time and money, but that just my opinion.

Is there a way you can buy just the fixture so that I can mount it underneath the canopy I currently have? I made it at home, but it's about 6" in height

Attachments

• image-2568432633.jpg
    image-2568432633.jpg
    149.2 KB · Views: 39
Is there a way you can buy just the fixture so that I can mount it underneath the canopy I currently have? I made it at home, but it's about 6" in height

Retrofit kit.
Is just ballasts, bulbs, reflectors, end caps and wiring bits. Lots cheaper than a whole fixture and you can mount inside your canopy.

blert said:
Retrofit kit.
Is just ballasts, bulbs, reflectors, end caps and wiring bits. Lots cheaper than a whole fixture and you can mount inside your canopy.

Thank you. Do I just get something like from a LFS? I might have to order one online.

Back
Top Bottom