Lemon bacopa care

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Milene

Aquarium Advice Activist
A few months ago I started my first planted tank, it's a really simple 5 gallon with anacharis, anubias nana, cryptocoryne bettchii petchii, java fern,lemon bacopa and hairgrass. The hairgrass died immediately because I only have a 3.6w led over the tank.

Soon after I also realised that the lemon bacopa needed medium/high light and the bottom leaves turned to mush. I didn't have a stronger light so I just left it.

Today I noticed the top leaves are turning a brownish red... Isn't that what happens when it receives high light???? Nothing in the tank has changed apart from a month ago my co2 ran out and I decided to remove it altogether since it was a low tech tank.

Can anyone please tell me what's going on with this plant? Is it getting too little or enough light? I can't imagine 3.6w to be enough but what's happening?

I've grown this in low, med, and high light and observed that with increased lighting the leaves will take on a reddish, brownish tinge. I believe this is normal and occurs in other plants as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

[QUO TE=Fresh2o;3110906]I've grown this in low, med, and high light and observed that with increased lighting the leaves will take on a reddish, brownish tinge. I believe this is normal and occurs in other plants as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice[/QUOTE]

That's what I read online as well but my tank has very low light, in your low light tanks did it turn brownish red? What did you do about the lower leaves dying?

If the tops are changing color it's probably because they are getting sufficient light (closer to the light source). As for the bottom leaves you could just trim the stem just above the dead growth and replant it. When stem plants are grown too closely together sometimes shading will discourage growth at the bottom of the stem (lack of light).

I think I've figured out why it's turning reddish!!! I was reading about my current fertiliser and realised for the first time that it contains iron (don't know how I missed that the first time I researched it)....also explains the algae bloom I've been going through.

Think I'll cut back on it a bit until the algae is under control.

Algae should not be from your fertilizer.

How long are you leaving your lights on ?

How often do you change water ?
Percent of water changed ?

Most people pay to turn their plants red, it is not a bad thing.

In answer to your questions:
-7 hours (it was 8 but I cut it down because of the algae)
- once a week
- about 30-35%

I'm not saying it's a bad thing! On the contrary!!! I thought I would never be able to keep red plants because I was told they were too hard to keep. I'm really glad I managed to do it! Btw my crypts (bettchii variety) are also a brownish colour now.

So the fertiliser isn't causing it? I thought iron caused algae....now I'm really confused.

Iron helps plants maintain their Red color. Overdosing might cause algae but that's why we do weekly water changes.

Too much light
Overfeeding
Poor water quality

Those grow algae.

How long has tank been set up ?
What kind of Algae ?

I usually do 50% PWCs, but my tanks are small.

It has been set up for 5 months. I had a bit if brown algae when I first set up as you would expect but other than that I've never had a problem before.
It looks very stringy so I'm guessing green hair algae.

So today was water change day and I did 50% maybe that will help...
I don't think it's to do with light. It might be that I overfeed though it's hard to believe cause I only feed them a pinch of hikari micro pellets in the morning every other day and fish flakes every other day (if that makes sense?). On the weekend I alternate between peas, brine shrimp and veggie pellets. I want to give them a varied diet. I try to only give what they'll eat in 2/3 minutes.

Back
Top Bottom