Leopard bushfish help...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ian21777

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi guys, not sure if anyone has any ideas here. I have leopard bushfish in a community tank of medium sized fish, one of which is a polytperus. I put some live river shrimp in for the polypterus yesterday, unfortunately the bushfish caught one, and even tho it was way way to big decided he was going to eat it... to his credit he managed it, even tho it was almost half as long as him- problem is he seems to have broke his mouth doing it. Hopefully i can expalin this in a way that makes sense... Bushfish have telescopic mouths and when he forced the shrimp down i guess he overextended it... so his mouth was pemanently extended, but closed- the top lip was flopped down over the opening. he was liek it all night ans still the same till about 10 mins ago. After a very frustrating time, i managed to catch him and have coaxed his mouth back to normal. it doesnt look quite right, but it isnt extended anymore. I guess the question is, has anyone experienced similar? overextended or dislocated jaws in any fish? Any thoughts on whether a fish is likely to recover from such an injury? I dont know whether to try and feed him later to see if his mouth is working again or just starve him for a while to give him chance to heal. Or am i just wasting my time and he better of out of his misery? I have him in a guppy fry trap for the time being so i can monitor him. thanks for any help you may be able to offer.

Back
Top Bottom