Leopard Ctenopoma in 20gal long??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BettaTony

Aquarium Advice Activist
Well I got a Leopard Ctenopoma for Christmas and I put it in my 20gal long. He's all alone in there. I read that they need like 55gals tho, and that is not something I can do. I have a 20gal powerfilter that hangs on the back and a 60gal sponge filter, I also block the current flow so it's not so much. Question is, do you think a 20gal long is enough for him?

It is not ideal, but if you set it up correctly he should be fine. Sounds like you realize the HOB filter would be a problem as these guys live in still back waters. The big issue is the feeding behavior of staying motionless and rocketing out for the attack. I would use sand as a substrate and you have to have a lot of floating plants. Without appropriate floating cover the fish will stress itself to death. They also need live feeder livebearers. One other food might be dubia roaches. We feed them to our beared dragon and my cichlids love them as well. The roaches can not climb or fly and can not survive in our environment.

It's not a matter of filtration, it's a matter of physical space. Everything I read about him on different sites say 55g so that he has adequate room to move. He does get to be 6" big.
In the end you'll have to make your own decision, but I think the tank is far too small.

Well, for the short term (6 months) as long as the filter current is defused, and there isn't much else in the tank it should be alright. They usually grown very slow, and swim very very slow. But for the long term you should get it in a 30 gallon minimum.

Back
Top Bottom