Leporinus attacking everything

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TraceyB4602

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I have a leporinus which is an aggressive fish. He is about 2 and 8" long. Since I moved him to a 45 gallon tank from a 10 gallon (about 2 weeks ago) he has been attacking a lot of my fish. Here is the death toll:
4 tiger barbs
2 columbian sharks
9 minnows

I think that's it .. And this is in the last 2 days. Has anyone heard of this?

Edit*
Ph- 6.5
Nh3- .25
No2- 0
No3- 5
Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium

Leporinus are monstrous little things that get highly aggressive when older. They are really better in a species only tanks (with multiple hiding spots) and need at least 55 gallons or more.

They do actually go well enough with larger, aggressive cichlid species in a proper size tank, but definitely not "community" fish. Best bet is to swap it off for something more suitable.

I sent mine packing to LFS. It was trying to eat my peacocks. they were getting beat up bad. He was free to me and I traded him in for some shells so my tanganekan multies would have homes. I liked the look but he was way too aggressive for my tanks.

Attachments

• Multies Temp Home.jpg
    Multies Temp Home.jpg
    75.9 KB · Views: 93
He has yet to attack any of the other fish I have left including my zebra danios and 1 lonely tiger barb. I would think seeing their small size, he'd try and attack them overnight but I guess there friends. He hasn't attacked my tetras or bala's either... He will chase but not nip. I just love him. He's one of my oldest fish and he's eaten fish before but not on this volume. I hope it was just his period or something lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium

Does yours have two teeth upfront as well? I used to have this fish. Mine was about 6" and I could clearly see two needle sharp teeth upfront. He pretty much ate all my danios/tetras and then died from a collision with the wall =/

Oh yes he does, I love how I can see the bite marks on my veggies when I put some in for him. I believe they all do though, there name means of a hare in Latin, pertaining to the teeth? I do not know.

Back
Top Bottom