Less Aggressive American cichlids

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Aquastrategist

Aquarium Advice Freak
Im looking for a less aggressive american cichlid to replace my GT. Besides angelfish, discus and rams, what are some larger non aggressive or less aggressive american cichlids???

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Severum, True Parrot Cichlids (Hoplarchus psittacus), Earth Eaters (geophagus)

Oscars are hit or miss some are ultra aggressive some are babies.

Keyholes and apistogramma aggassizii are normally very tolerant and less aggressive but it really depends on the personality of the individual fish in most cases.

It really depends on your tank setup. I have a jack Dempsey who is a big baby towards other fish unless they annoy him too much. They can be very aggressive, but if you give them a lot of spots to hide they will be fine. Also the parrot cichlids are the most consistently nice fish. I would just add a ton of hiding spots and you can add about any cichlids you want. Except convicts they are super aggressive.

Also the parrot cichlids are the most consistently nice fish. I would just add a ton of hiding spots and you can add about any cichlids you want. Except convicts they are super aggressive.

I would disagree with these statements. One most american cichlids are known to be aggressive even with allot of hiding spots. Two Parrot fish (assuming you mean blood parrot not Hoplarchus psittacus) are not always nice. There goofy looks can be quite deceiving. I had one terrorize my tank. I got it cause my wife liked it.

Rainbows and keyholes can be kept in a community tank. (Relatively speaking)

Severums are fairly friendly, blood parrots are iffy though they are unlikely to do any damage to fast/hardy fish.

Bocourti, pearseii, uaru, all big south or Central American cichlids that are peaceful

And geophagus that is a Surinamensis type (abalios, altifrons, pindare, tapajo, etc) and not brasiliensis type

Those are all going to be around the 10" mark typically

Alright all, thanks for the help. I have a GT a firemouth and a nicaraguan in my 55 only the gt seems aggressive.

I agree, I plan on getting rid of my GT and keeping my nic and firemouth. Could I had a few keyholes or small earth eaters and still be ok in my 55?

No true eartheaters in a 55. The closest relatives to the geophagus/satanoperca genera would be certain species of gymnogeophagus or guianacara

Back
Top Bottom