Let me Pick your brain

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fisherjoe

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I was wondering if anyone can give me a plant ID on the plants in the first two pictures.

Also, in the last picture there is a type of black algae forming on my anubias, any suggestions on what is causing this? I can provide update aquarium stats when I have time :)

I

Attachments

• image-463713772.jpg
    image-463713772.jpg
    207.8 KB · Views: 71
  • image-2890967580.jpg
    image-2890967580.jpg
    201.1 KB · Views: 61
  • image-1387141372.jpg
    image-1387141372.jpg
    154 KB · Views: 72
I was wondering if anyone can give me a plant ID on the plants in the first two pictures.

Also, in the last picture there is a type of black algae forming on my anubias, any suggestions on what is causing this? I can provide update aquarium stats when I have time :)

I

The one looks like a chain sword #2, and the first looks like a Micro or Brazilian sword.

As for the algae on the anubias, I had the same problem. Mine was caused from the wood that the anubias was anchored to. I bought two little Red fin otos. They cleaned it up. Took a bit because they are only about an inch long, but they did the job. I hope this helps. At least it gives you something to start a bit of research.

That is black beard algae which is generally caused by too much light and nutrients. What type of lighting do you have and how many hours a day do you run it? You need to go down to 6 hours a day for your light and you can spot treat the algae with Excel.

One looks like Microsword, lilaeopsis brasiliensis. Two looks like some species of staurogyne, and given the size it's probably staurogyne repens. As far as your algae goes, we can't give you any meaningful advice without you first telling us more about your tank.

Hello Again,

Thank you for the advice thus far.

Here are my tank specs.

65 gallon tank measuring 48" x 15.5" x 20"

Lighting: zoomed aquasun quad t5ho 4x54w bulbs (two flora sun and two ultra sun) my lights stay on for almost 12 hours a day.

I am injecting CO2 using an inline reactor through my fluval 404 canister.

I am currently running two fluval 404 for filtration.

Ferts include flourish, flourish excel, flourish iron, flourish trace.

Some plants include: amazon swords, ozelot swords, pygmy chain swords, hygro polysperma, java fern, anubias, ludwigia.

Fish includes, angels, mollies, swordtails, guppies, cardinal tetras, black neon tetras, BN plecos, green emerald cories.

Water parameters are:

NH3 = 0.1
PH = 7.2
GH = 140
KH = 60
Nitrites = 0.1

Please let me know what you think of this setup and what I should do differently.

Attachments

• image-2387750252.jpg
    image-2387750252.jpg
    205.6 KB · Views: 58
  • image-2971748668.jpg
    image-2971748668.jpg
    226 KB · Views: 50
  • image-3862250470.jpg
    image-3862250470.jpg
    211 KB · Views: 57
  • image-2889005221.jpg
    image-2889005221.jpg
    187.3 KB · Views: 55
  • image-2811064165.jpg
    image-2811064165.jpg
    165.8 KB · Views: 51
Your tank looks good! You have high light and 12 hours is too long IMO. I have high light also and can only run mine 6 hours a day or I begin to have algae issues. One thing, if the BBA is only on your anubia you need to spot treat it with Excel and move it to a more shaded position in the tank. When slow growing anubia's are placed in too much light it's very common to have BBA issues. I actually have to keep my anubia's in a very shaded area for that reason.

Something else, you might want to look into using dry ferts as they are very inexpensive compared to liquid ferts. Just something to think about.

Thank you to everyone who has provided an answer to my questions :)

I have changed the timer on my lights and CO2 to only be on for 6 hours a day.

I have started spot dosing with excel, hopefully it clears up soon!

I havent tried dry ferts, I live in ontario canada and do not know where I could get them cheap enough. Online shipping is a real killer!

I have several hydroponic stores near me, do you think they would be able to supply me with ehat I would need?

What dry ferts would I have to ask for if I was to talk to them?

Rivercats, do you have any dosing instructions for my 65 gallon tank with the above specs?

I have read numerous threads and articles on dosing dry ferts, but it doesnt seem to be sinking in very well.

Thank you again for all of your help!

I know a few people I've talked to in Canada have told me they get their dry ferts from hydroponic's stores so that is your best bet. Here is a list of chemicals you'd need plus the amounts you'd need to mix them for tank use dosing PPS-Pro.

Macro ferts:

In 1 liter bottle:

59 grams K2SO4 (Potassium Sulfate)
6 grams KH2PO4 (Mono Potassium Phosphate)

Mix with RO or distilled water, shake well, and let sit overnight.

In 1 liter bottle:

65 grams KNO3 (Potassium Nitrate

Mix with RO or distilled water, shake well, and let sit overnight.

41 grams MgSO4 (Magnesium Sulfate) NOTE: You only need this if you have very soft water! Otherwise don't waste money on buying it.

Micro Solution

In 1 liter bottle:

80 grams of CSM+B or equivalent trace element mix

Fill with RO or distilled water, shake well, and let sit overnight before using.

Test your water for nitrates and phosphates to see what your starting numbers are. Planted tanks should be 10-20ppms of nitrates, and .5-1.0ppm of phosphates. Then dose 1ml per 10 gallons of tank water daily with each solution.

Also add 5ml of Flourish Excel to every 250ml of macro and micro solution to keep mold/fungus from growing.

That's all there is too it.

Thank you very much for all of your help!

I will venture to a hydroponic store this weekend!

Back
Top Bottom