Lethargic fish? --- Goldfish 70 l Hex

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

reitimax

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi guys, I need some helpfull advice. I have a 70 litre cold water aquarium. Lately some of the fish have been what looks like, resting on the bottom of the tank. Any ideas what this could be? Getting worried as they are normally very active.

Hi Reitimax! Welcome to AA! :)

I asked that your post be a new thread so that you will get more visilibity and helpful answers. We'll need to know some things about your tank to help though. How long setup? Size? Stocking (fish)? Etc.

it's a hexaganol tank circa 70 litres. I have 8 fish. 3 orandas, 1 common goldie, a borneo sucker, a loach and 1 black moor. they harmonise very well together. I have carried out a 50% water change after finding my nitrate levels were very high. all of the orandas at the moment have white spot disease of which i'm carrying out a 6 day treatment for. This setup is approx 4 weeks old. The fish are between 1 year and 6 years old(Common goldie)

Welcome to AA!

More Questions:
Did you cycle the tank before adding the fish?
What is the ammonia & nitrite levels?
What is your tap water nitrate level?
What is the temperature of the tank?
What are you treating the ich with?
Did the fish get any more active with the water change?
How big are the fish? (length - without counting the tails)

Your tank is extremely overstocked, and the most likely cause of the white spot disease (and the lethargy) is poor water condition. You really have room in that tank (~20 gal) for 2 of the fancies when full grown. A healthy 6 year old common should be 12+" long & belong in a pond.

For now, I suggest lots of water changes. Regardless of the underlying source of the disease, clean water is a must. No treatment will be effective without clean water. For start, I would suggest 50% pwc daily. <Depending on how you are treating the ich, some adjustment on treatment regime is needed with all the pwc.> Observe the fish after the pwc's to see if there is any improvement, and also look for any unusual signs (spots, lumps) or behavior in additional to the lethargy. With detailed info, we might be able to suggest more specific treatment.

Back
Top Bottom