Lethargic Goldfish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Reverie

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Tank
What is the water volume of the tank? 40 gal
How long has the tank been running? 1 year
Does it have a filter? yes
Does it have a heater? yes
What is the water temperature? 75 F
What is the entire stocking of this tank? (Please list all fish and inverts.) 3 goldfish (ryukin)

Maintenance
How often do you change the water? once a week
How much of the water do you change? About 70%
What do you use to treat your water? API stress coat and API Tap water conditioner
Do you vacuum the substrate or just the water? just water

*Parameters - Very Important
Did you cycle your tank before adding fish? yes
What do you use to test the water? test strips and API water test kit
What are your parameters? We need to know the exact numbers, not just “fine” or “safe”.
Ammonia: Lost test tube, currently don't know
Nitrite: 0 ppm
Nitrate: 10 ppm
pH: 6.4

Feeding
How often do you feed your fish? once a day
How much do you feed your fish? 1x1 cube of repashy
What brand of food do you feed your fish? Repashy
Do you feed frozen? Yes, bloodworms
Do you feed freeze-dried foods? No

Illness & Symptoms
How long have you had this fish? 1 year
How long ago did you first notice these symptoms? 2 days ago
In a few words, can you explain the symptoms? Lethargic, sitting in the corner of the tank
Have you started any treatment for the illness? Salt dip (only for a day)
Was your fish physically ill or injured upon purchase? no
How has its behavior and appearance changed, if at all? Lethargic, but still eats

Explain your emergency situation in detail.
(Please give a clear explanation of what is going on, include details from the beginning of the illness leading up to now)
After coming back from college, one of my goldfish has been in the corner of the tank unless it is being fed. The other two do not pick on him so I know he's not getting bullied. One of my other goldfish recently passed away and it could be due to swim bladder issues or some kind of infection, but I am not sure. I performed a salt dip on all of them yesterday and he does not seem to be getting much better. He also goes up and gulps air, but they have been doing that since I've first got them. I am thinking of using medications to treat internal parasites but I don't want to start until I know what the problem is. Also checked for dropsy, red velvet, but no signs of it. Also, any help with having my goldfish not go and gulp air would be appreciated.

Back
Top Bottom