Lethargic Fish... Help!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

astreck

Aquarium Advice Newbie
[Edited for new information]

1~What type of fish is afflicted? In addition, please describe what is wrong with the fish to the best of your ability (i.e. cotton like growth, bloated, etc.).

First, I noticed one of my peppered cory's laying on the substrate "breathing" heavily. He will get up and move around occasionally, but then lays back down. Was going to give him some time to see if he bounces back, but I then noticed when I got home that one of my new denison barbs was exhibiting similar behavior. He is just kind of floating in the middle of the tank and occasionally starts to rotate until he rights himself.

Also, one of my Rummynose recently went missing but I assumed that I vaccumed him out or something

2~What are your tank parameters (ammonia, nitrites, nitrates, temp, pH)? Please give exact values.

Ammonia 0 ppm
Nitrite 0 ppm
Nitrate 0 ppm
pH 7.6
Temp 76 F

3~ How large is the tank? How long has the tank been set up?

75 Gallons, set up for about 1 month

4~What type of filtration are you using? Please give the name and number (i.e. Fluval 304) and amount of gph if known.

Fluval 406 and Aqueon HOB 55/75

5~How many fish are in the tank? What kinds of fish are they and what are their current sizes?

3 Denison barb 1.5-2"
4 Oto 1"
5 Rummynose Tetra 1" (was 6, one disappeared)
1 Black Angel 2"
2 Yoyo Loaches 1.5"
3 Peppered Cory Cats 1"
3 Boesmani Rainbow 2"
4 Assorted Mollies 1"

6~When is the last time you did a water change and vacuum the gravel? How often do you do this? How much water do you remove at a time?

25 Gallon water changed 2 days ago, no vacuum because of plants

7~How long have you had the fish? If the fish is new, how did you acclimate it/them?

Cories and Denisons were purchased 1 week ago from different LFS

8~Have you added anything new to the tank--decor, new dechlorinator, new substrate, etc.?

Dosing weekly flourish excel, api leaf zone, and dechlor with water changes, but nothing new

9~What kind of food have you been feeding your fish, have you changed their diet recently?

API tropical flake daily and frozen bloodworms 1-2 x week, nothing new

No signs of Ich anywhere.

Any suggestions?

Hello,

I'm experiencing a problem with my 75 gallon planted tank. First, I noticed one of my peppered cory's laying on the substrate "breathing" heavily. He will get up and move around occasionally, but then lays back down. Was going to give him some time to see if he bounces back, but I then noticed when I got home that one of my new denison barbs was exhibiting similar behavior. He is just kind of floating in the middle of the tank and occasionally starts to rotate until he rights himself.

My water parameters are good;

Ammonia 0 ppm

Nitrite 0 ppm

Nitrate 0 ppm

pH 7.6

No signs of Ich anywhere.

Any suggestions?

What do you use as a dechlorinator, what is your temp, when were these fish introduced, what others are in the tank, how long has it been running, did you QT them before adding ?

Edit : How did you acclimate and did you put water in from where you got them? What is filtration ?

edited for more info, they were not QT and acclimated by floating the bag.

I only preach QT first. Easiest way to limit problems. Acclimation by bag float only is good for temp. That's all. Best acclimation would include adding tank water to bag to equalize pH balance and then adding fish to tank minus bag water. However, as I stated before, QT is the safest way. Even if it takes 6 (my practice weeks, it's less stressful and cheaper than treating or possibly losing a few good dollars on a DT.

Back
Top Bottom