Lethargic Oranda

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pkrs

Aquarium Advice Newbie
My poor little fish is doing a lot of floating, kind of putting herself in the plants (I'm guessing to hold herself down from floating). She's still eating like crazy, but seems like her body wants to float to the top. We checked the levels and they are fine. There's no other fish in the tank, so it's not like she's got a bully or anything.
Some redness on gills. Any help would be great. Thanks a lot:confused:

When you say your oranda is floating, do you notice any difficulty in swimming and mobility? Since your water parameters are fine and if she is still eating, the first thing to do would be to boil some frozen peas, remove the skin and mash them up before feeding it to your fish.

Floating or issues with buoyancy could be caused by swim bladder disease, which can be a result of over-eating, constipation or even bacterial infection. The peas work like a laxative, and it will essentially 'clean' your fish's digestive tract.

When you say redness on gills, do you see any swelling? Are there any other symptoms or abnormalities?

Thanks for your reply and help. She seems to be struggling to stay down, mostly just going with the flow of the water. We just changed 50% of the water and hope that's going to help. I've been feeding her peas for the past two days.
I just feel bad b/c she's sticking herself into the plants in a weird way. Perhaps the water change will help?

When you say your oranda is floating, do you notice any difficulty in swimming and mobility? Since your water parameters are fine and if she is still eating, the first thing to do would be to boil some frozen peas, remove the skin and mash them up before feeding it to your fish.

Floating or issues with buoyancy could be caused by swim bladder disease, which can be a result of over-eating, constipation or even bacterial infection. The peas work like a laxative, and it will essentially 'clean' your fish's digestive tract.

When you say redness on gills, do you see any swelling? Are there any other symptoms or abnormalities?

It's good that you've been feeding her peas. Do you notice any pooping? And do any of the poops actually float?

A water change is always a good thing, as long as you don't do it too frequently. Keep us in touch with her progress, and do let us know if she is actually pooping.

Back
Top Bottom