Lethrinops sp. Red cap compatibility

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nikismithwin

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I'm looking at stocking ideas and I know I really want a Red cap but I've read they're very docile and I'm not sure what would be good tank mates for them. Obviously nothing aggressive and something that enjoys the same environment. Any opinions?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Milder mannered peacocks like stuartgranti or hansbaenschi.
Lethrinops sp. yellow shoulder
Otopharanx lithobates are a few.

Itungis are very easily over dominated, I have one in my all male tank, and he is at the bottom of the pecking order. Luckily he still shows his color, but it's not to his full potential.

You really need a very calm group of fish for Itungis. An all Itungi tank isn't a bad idea.

Those are some great suggestions! I looked them up and they're all beautiful! Another question, do they need dither fish and if so could you suggest a school that enjoys the same water/environment? I'm not looking to breed so im thinking of going all male. Should I do single males or could I maybe get away with multiples of the same?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I would go with singles, these fish are pretty aggressive towards members of the same species. You can put several red caps together, but you need a large group to weed out conspecific aggression, similar to Demasoni. Opinions vary on dither fish, I do t think it's needed, these fish aren't really timid, just submissive. It depends on the size if your tank. But a school of cherry barbs, or giant danios would be cool. Also tiger barbs, you'd want larger schooling fish so they don't get picked of by the larger fish. I've also kept Australian Rainbows with cichlids. They are really cool! But get large,a group of 2 males to 4 females is pretty cool. http://youtu.be/jxg3CpMwP4U

Back
Top Bottom