Lets play, Name... That... Parasite!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CountZero

Aquarium Advice Activist
Any Idea what seems to be slowly coating my little puffing buddy?
He seems as frisky as normal, eats just fine, and does not seem to be showing any signs of stress. He's just covered with little white pinhead sized spots on his body and fins (See Attachment).

The spots look too big to be ich to me. I've seen some minor cases of lymphosistus(sp?), and they looked a bit like that. The big difference was that the white areas were only on the fringes of the fins. I've heard, however, that in advanced stages it can cover the entire body.

Lymphosistus, according to what I hear, is not a parasite, but a condition that is caused by some other kind of stress. It's a sign of something wrong more than a problem in and of itself. It doesn't kill fish often. Typically, whatever is causing them to have lymphosistus gets them first.

Keep in mind this is all hearsay, and I can't really tell for sure. Wait for one of the pros to post. :p

I've seen some minor cases of lymphosistus(sp?), and they looked a bit like that. The big difference was that the white areas were only on the fringes of the fins. I've heard, however, that in advanced stages it can cover the entire body.

They do cover the entire body, they just dont show up in the photo
Zero

Yeah, that's what I meant. I could see them in the photo on the body. I've never personally seen them on the body, but I've heard that advanced cases can include that... meaning that if I'm right, your case is advanced.

I'm probably not even right about it being lymphosystus, though. I'm a newbie. ;)

I agree, Cryptocaryon irritans (ich). If you would be interested in having the photo published in a magazine then email me. TerryB10@centurytel.net. I could probably get the editor to publish it in my series on ich running in Advanced Aquarist Online magazine. www.advancedaquarist.com. I will put you in direct contact with the editor and he will want to gather some information about you so he can give you credit as the photographer.
Terry B

I agree, Cryptocaryon irritans (ich). If you would be interested in having the photo published in a magazine then email me. TerryB10@centurytel.net. I could probably get the editor to publish it in my series on ich running in Advanced Aquarist Online magazine. www.advancedaquarist.com. I will put you in direct contact with the editor and he will want to gather some information about you so he can give you credit as the photographer.
Terry B

Sure, No problem. Would I get a free issue? :D

Looks like cryptocarryon irritans to me.

Your fish should be removed to a qt and treated with hyposalinity.

Crud... I dont have a QT. The one I had sprung a leak. I can pick up one tommorow. How would I set it up? Any filter or just an airstone? Will a 10 gallon be enough? And how do I do hypersalinity? What SG would I shoot for? Any Medications I should use? And whats the best way to capture such a fish without damaging him? Trap him with a big one and let him swim out into the other tank?
Thanks guys.
Zero

And how do I do hypersalinity?

In my post above the word hyposalinity, is a link with instructions on how to treat with hyposalinty.

How would I set it up?

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/showquestion.php?faq=2&fldAuto=17

You will also find it necessary to use a heater in your QT, due to the climate, I would imagine. Not sure how much I would trust it, but your going to need some type of biological filter and the new marine bio-spira is out. Someone here tried it, you might look into it, otherwise due to time, I don't see any other alternative besides waterchanges for controlling ammonia and nitrite. I would definitely have some amquel + on hand kits capable of testing with amquel present.

Advanced Aquarist Online magazine is free, so yes you get a free copy. Ideally, you would maintain a cycled quarantine tank for just such an incidence. You should keep one set up to quarantine all new fish BEFORE they go into the display tank. This would save you a lot of grief. Since you don't have a cycled Qtank you need to keep a large batch of saltwater mixing so you have well aged an aerated saltwater for all the water changes you are going to have to make. Get some Poly Filter by Poly Bio Marine, it will help remove some of the ammonia from the water.
Terry B

I am the one that posted about Marine Bio-Spira. It worked like a charm for new setup, a 50 gal SW FO tank. It does say it can be used for purposes of a QT tank, although it depends on what type of curative method you choose. You could end up killing the Nitrifying bacteria if say you went for the copper treatment.

You can get it shipped priority mail 2 day, cold packed from;

http://www.fishstoretn.com

RodneyCK

Terry B said:
Advanced Aquarist Online magazine is free, so yes you get a free copy.

Heh, I know, I was attempting to be funny, hence the smiley face. I guess I failed miserably :?
Zero

Back
Top Bottom