Let's see how this goes..... (new additions)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Joker741

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Well, the tiger barbs ate the shrimp I put in the tank, so I did some research and adds 3 panda corys to the tank. I wanted 6, but this is all they had. They have been in the tank a few hours and the barbs are really interested in them. If one of the pandas die, the barbs are going to sleep with the lobster. :twisted:

panda.jpg

3 is fine to start off. when they have more you should pick more up. looks nice.

I came home after being out about an hour to find one of my pandas hiding in one of the plants and the other two hiding under the big rock in the tank. Looks like they are learning to survive. Part of the problem is, my tiger barbs are almost the same size as my gouramis. They are huge.

This is normal IMO. You just brought your pandas home and they are not yet used to their surroundings. They should settle down and be more active in a few days to a week.

Nice pickups! :)

When I say in the plant, I mean he was laying in the plant, lol.

panda2.jpg

Thanks for the positive comments.

What a cute pic! Corys have a ton of personality, which you'll see even more so when you get the rest of your school. :)

Well, I lost one over night. It doesn't look like anything in the tank killed him, so I am wondering if he died from stress. The other two are alive and well. I am going to call mt LFS and see if they will exchange it.

Well, upon further inspection, it would appear that the tiger barbs ate the tail off the dead cory and have taken part of the tail of anouther, the third is fine. I went to the LFS and they gave me a credit on the dead one since they don't have any in, and offered to order me anouther one. After thinking about it, I decided to order the 6 barbs (3 green, 3 albino) to try and calm the barbs I have alittle. My thoughts are to take the 3 big barbs I have out and put them in anouther tank, add the new ones, then after about a week of so, I will put the big barbs back in. Basically put them on a bad behavior time out. Once I am sure the tank is stable, I will think about adding 4 more pandas.

"Expletive deleted" tiger barbs.

Well, upon further inspection, it would appear that the tiger barbs ate the tail off the dead cory and have taken part of the tail of anouther, the third is fine. I went to the LFS and they gave me a credit on the dead one since they don't have any in, and offered to order me anouther one. After thinking about it, I decided to order the 6 barbs (3 green, 3 albino) to try and calm the barbs I have alittle. My thoughts are to take the 3 big barbs I have out and put them in anouther tank, add the new ones, then after about a week of so, I will put the big barbs back in. Basically put them on a bad behavior time out. Once I am sure the tank is stable, I will think about adding 4 more pandas.

"Expletive deleted" tiger barbs.

Sorry to hear about the troubles. Fish won't respond to a time-out so I'd just recommend adding to the barbs without it. You are exactly right that adding to the schoal will "calm" any external nippiness. I doubt that the only issue was the barbs. It's more likely that the cories had trouble and the barbs nipped after the fact. Tiger barbs are great fish, but they do present some stocking challenges at times. Good luck and keep the thread updated! I'm living vicarioously.

LMAO... Been there, done that. Like I said, great fish that come with challenges. Your's are gorgeoous and obviously very healthy. I think the "perfect" Tiger barb tank would have 9 - 12 barbs (whatever color variety), a RBS, and maybe a gourami. The challenge is trying to do anything else with them.

It's very apparent that you're learning... you're keeping fish better than friends that I've been badgering for YEARS. :D

Lost anouther panda and when I pulled it out, the tail was missing as well. The last panda is doing fine and has no damage at all to it. I have the 6 barbs on order, but they won't be here till next friday. After about 2 weeks of the new barbs being in I will go buy more pandas, probably 6 so that I will have 7 total, I hope.

I am thinking about changing my sig to: "Expletive deleted" tiger barbs.

Bummer.... :(

Next time you try to add pandas, make sure they've been at the shop for at least a wekk. They can be tough to receive.

The last Panda is still doing great.

The 6 new barbs will be here Friday and I am picking them up in the morning right as they come in so they will never hit the store tanks.

I have a question, what is the best way to get them ready to go in the tank? The best way to reduce the stress on them so that they make it?

I am thinking about starting a thread just for my tank so all my stuff/info is in one spot.

They didn't have my barbs so I got 3 Rummy Nose Tetras and 3 Pristella Tetras. They didn't get any barbs in so they are placing my order again in hopes of getting them next Friday. He said the supplier didn't have any because of the holiday last weekend. I wanted to get the barbs first, but I am hoping that they won't pick on the new additions because there are others like the new ones in the tank.

Back
Top Bottom