Lets settle a dispute, shall we?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Otos are better algae eaters than bn plecos, if thats what you are looking for (which it does seem like to me). They are passive to a fault though, so they wouldnt fare well against more assertive tank mates. They would also likely be bullied out of algae wafers too.

You might just call your tank bottom stocked. It doesnt look lime much will fit into that space well enough to warrant stocking.

aqua_chem said:
Otos are better algae eaters than bn plecos, if thats what you are looking for (which it does seem like to me). They are passive to a fault though, so they wouldnt fare well against more assertive tank mates. They would also likely be bullied out of algae wafers too.

You might just call your tank bottom stocked. It doesnt look lime much will fit into that space well enough to warrant stocking.

Ya they might not get to any wafers huh? Would the angel or tetras scare them away? Bec the eel doeant eat wafers, and the featherfin gets pieces thrown in his cave so he doesnt need to go around scaring fish off of their wafers.

If you're angel has a thing for algae wafers, he might. Don't quote me on that one though.

It's really an unpredictable thing. Sometimes fish won't care much if a wafers sitting there unmolested, but once another fish wants it, suddenly they absolutely must have it. Otos just won't fight for it like other fish (plecos) may.

First off, I did not realize you guys were brothers. Lol, I thought it was funnt that 2 people popped up with the same stock and both had pictures involving black gravel, but I didn't put it together. Blonde moment I guess.

Secondly, I remember multiple threads where multiple people have said (to both of you) the bottom of your tank is fully stocked. So, if you guys want to add something else, go ahead because its your tank, but I still agree that the bottom of the tank is pretty full and you would be better off to just add some nerites. After all, nerites come in awesome colors and are pretty cute IMO.

absolutangel04 said:
First off, I did not realize you guys were brothers. Lol, I thought it was funnt that 2 people popped up with the same stock and both had pictures involving black gravel, but I didn't put it together. Blonde moment I guess.

Secondly, I remember multiple threads where multiple people have said (to both of you) the bottom of your tank is fully stocked. So, if you guys want to add something else, go ahead because its your tank, but I still agree that the bottom of the tank is pretty full and you would be better off to just add some nerites. After all, nerites come in awesome colors and are pretty cute IMO.

I agree, but i saw some otos today and they were soooo small! Nerites would be good, and if i see them ill get some for sure.
Haha ya, i was wondering when people would put two and two together. I didnt really think itd happen though since this forum is so large

Ok. I got mixed answers in many of my threads. People said that i could and others said that i couldnt so now i have a good answer thanks. And ya i am not proud to be related to him. Haha :p

I agree, but i saw some otos today and they were soooo small! Nerites would be good, and if i see them ill get some for sure.
Haha ya, i was wondering when people would put two and two together. I didnt really think itd happen though since this forum is so large
Lol, yeah, I just thougt the similarities were a crazy coincidence. I think I would have put it together if your locations were listed, but maybe not...
Anyway, you have to rememebr to stock according to the size of teh adult fish. Otos can reach 2 inches, but some stay smaller. I know the ones you see in stores are often TINY, but that does not mean they will stay that size. The same thing goes for your featherfin and the eel. They will get bigger. If you doubt that you have the right tank for full-sized one, then its usually better to consider re-homing sooner rather than later.

absolutangel04 said:
Lol, yeah, I just thougt the similarities were a crazy coincidence. I think I would have put it together if your locations were listed, but maybe not...
Anyway, you have to rememebr to stock according to the size of teh adult fish. Otos can reach 2 inches, but some stay smaller. I know the ones you see in stores are often TINY, but that does not mean they will stay that size. The same thing goes for your featherfin and the eel. They will get bigger. If you doubt that you have the right tank for full-sized one, then its usually better to consider re-homing sooner rather than later.

All true...dang that featherfin is really holding me back. Can otos be in a group of just 2 then?

Bothers hey. Thought something was up. Funny thought, do you two sit next to each other and have conversations on AA instead of talking? I do this all the time on FB with my hubby. Lol! Sad, I know.

IMO get rid of the eel and the featherfin, add your otos and plecs, and call it a day.

You guys are brothers!!!!! I actually thought you were just one person on the same account since you seemed so similar. Blonde moment (and I'm not blonde, but I have these moments a lot! :))

Mumma.of.two said:
Bothers hey. Thought something was up. Funny thought, do you two sit next to each other and have conversations on AA instead of talking? I do this all the time on FB with my hubby. Lol! Sad, I know.

Hahaha no i usually try and ignore him as much as possible :D hah but sometimes we comment on eachothers threads and we just so happen to have the exact same fish. Haha it was funny b4 ppl knew we were brothers

bruinsbro1997 said:
IMO get rid of the eel and the featherfin, add your otos and plecs, and call it a day.

You guys are brothers!!!!! I actually thought you were just one person on the same account since you seemed so similar. Blonde moment (and I'm not blonde, but I have these moments a lot! :))

Haha i prefer eel and feather fin over ottos and plecs any day! Haha

I dont like ottos though. They seem too fragile and dont they need to be in groups to be happy?

the BN is bigger yes by 4X, but the major diff. is that the BN produces 10 X as much crap than the group of 4 otos........

meaning that it would great a higher bioload.........otos r cool;) and btw......BNs get to 6"

ABNs get to 5"

Ohh ok thanks.. I really wanted an albino, but i guess i can pass on the bn for the 40 gal cuz im gunna try and breed them in a seperate tank! Haha we will se how that goes.. If it works my brother doesnt get any fry!

bruinsbro1997 said:

Ya! Same age too. Haha

Mumma.of.two said:

Lol no, but i wish i could just talk to him through tecnology only. Thatd be nice :D jk

the BN is bigger yes by 4X, but the major diff. is that the BN produces 10 X as much crap than the group of 4 otos........

meaning that it would great a higher bioload.........otos r cool;) and btw......BNs get to 6"

ABNs get to 5"
Albino do not stay smaller IME. Not sure where that info came from. IME, the long-finned bnp get longer, more like 5 inches but the regular finned ones of any color stay at closer to 4-4.5 inches. I have heard of some individuals reaching more like 6 inches, but I have never personally seen it.

Okay thanks. I guess bn plecos are out for the 40 gal. I guess a differant breeding tank would be interesting and a new challenge.

Back
Top Bottom