Let's talk substrates

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Hunter73

Aquarium Advice Freak
I currently have Carib Sea sand (natural sand color - forget the real name).

I'm really leaning towards changing it to black. My 46 gallon is pretty heavily planted now.

I lean towards finer grain substrate.

The "good" substrates for planted tanks seem to have larger grains.

What would you recommend that is fine? Links would be great if you don't mind.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

All of my tanks are planted, no to low tech. I've used standard aquarium gravel, Eco Complete, Tahitian moon sand, dirt. For me it's a matter of preference in terms of the overall look of the tank.

I would suggest the EcoComplete fine grain but that appears to have been discontinued.
Some folks here use Brightwell's substrates. Hoping they will chime in.

Aquasoil is the best, if budget is an issue dirt is as good as it gets. Tom Barr did a study on this a while back. I don't have the link.

You could try fluorite black sand. I use it in my 55 for my elephant nose. Don't know exact size but the grain size is pretty darn small

Sent from my SM-G925V using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I use "Turface MVP" in all of my tanks. It is a calcined clay (klin fired like pottery) it does not break down and is very lightweight. Its the same stuff they use on MLB baseball fields. I can get it from a Feed and Seed store that supplies it to a farm league baseball field for $9.99 for 50lbs. To mineralize it is very easy and saves a ton of money. When its dry just add your trace to it and it soaks in. Let it set for a day and then run some tap water over it to get off the little bit of dust. 1 bag of this was enough to do deep substrate in a 55g and 4 10g tanks. It does take about a day to settle in the tank due to the lightweight nature of it and it pushing the air bubbles out, but after that it is amazing. They also have a smaller grain that is available in 4 different shades of clay, and that is the "Turface Pro Choice". However the MVP works fine for carpeting plants and stemmed. I have DBT, DHG, Dwarf Four Leaf, all growing in it. Also have several crypts, ludwiga, rotala, etc growing in it. I would never pay $25 per 14lb bag of flourite or anything else when this does the job, not to mention 14lbs of this would equate to about 30lbs of flourite. I can post some pics of it if anybody requests it.

I use "Turface MVP" in all of my tanks. It is a calcined clay (klin fired like pottery) it does not break down and is very lightweight. Its the same stuff they use on MLB baseball fields. I can get it from a Feed and Seed store that supplies it to a farm league baseball field for $9.99 for 50lbs. To mineralize it is very easy and saves a ton of money. When its dry just add your trace to it and it soaks in. Let it set for a day and then run some tap water over it to get off the little bit of dust. 1 bag of this was enough to do deep substrate in a 55g and 4 10g tanks. It does take about a day to settle in the tank due to the lightweight nature of it and it pushing the air bubbles out, but after that it is amazing. They also have a smaller grain that is available in 4 different shades of clay, and that is the "Turface Pro Choice". However the MVP works fine for carpeting plants and stemmed. I have DBT, DHG, Dwarf Four Leaf, all growing in it. Also have several crypts, ludwiga, rotala, etc growing in it. I would never pay $25 per 14lb bag of flourite or anything else when this does the job, not to mention 14lbs of this would equate to about 30lbs of flourite. I can post some pics of it if anybody requests it.

Yes, please post pics if you don't mind. Thanks for the info too.

This is an older pic of the tank, but the only one I have on me at the moment that shows the substrate. I have about 500 of my discus and plants haha.

Attachments

• gfg5643654.jpg
    gfg5643654.jpg
    63.4 KB · Views: 86
I use good ol' pool filter sand. Pool stores sell it for $20 for 50 lbs but Menards has it for $7.99. Menards isn't quite as nice and fine but it does the job.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Good route to go if you wanna stay with something gravel-like. Let us know how you like it!

So I found someone local that has three bags of the Activ-Flora. Do you think if it's a year or two old that it could have lost some nutrients from being old? I would still need to buy probably 3 more bags.

If it's sealed I don't know how it'd go inert either.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom