Letting go. . .

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rutrag

Aquarium Advice Addict
I took off work today for a family issue. I left home to go have lunch with my daughter, and came home to fing my long tentacle anemone had aparently gone swimming and ended up sucked onto the intake pump for my HOB skimmer. After my "what the heck" moment:facepalm:, I unplugged the skimmer and worked the intake nozzle lose. I then set the anemone down where he's been since October. The foot looked okay and there were no nem parts swirling around the tank. I went ahead and scraped the algae since I had the light off anyway. At that point, I figured I'd try and get the strainer off of the anemone to hook the skimmer back up. On the plus side, the nem has apparently re-attached to something, but when I gently but firmly pulled on the strainer I actually felt the anemone tug back like he wasn't gonna give it up. I figure the fact that he was pulling and had re-attached were good signs for his health

Anyone got any tricks to get him to let go?

41906-albums1989-picture37848.jpg

Got him clear. About 5 second after I submitted, I looked over and saw him rolling around in the current. He had apparently come unattached and the swirling motion must have caused him to retract somewhat and the strainer came off easily. The skimmer's back up and running now and the nem is back in his normal spot.

Sounds like you got lucky. I would just keep a close eye on him. Possible he can unattach again from the stress but sounds like you got a handle on it.

i had that happen. my nem was tentacle first in my filter intake tube arms all up inside. i got him out with some damage to several arms, but foot was fine. been 6 months now, the arms are still a little wanky in parts where it was torn but doing great. i actually came home lastnight to find him at the top corner pf the tank just barely under water. urs ever do that? not sure if its a sign of anything.

Mine has always prefered the bottom left on the tank. He's moved maybe 4" to either side of his spot since I got him outside of this issue.

About 6 weeks ago, he deflated and looked really limp for a couple of days, detached and I thought he was a goner. He also got really brown looking in the tentacles. (He normally has a green cast to him.) I isolated him for a few hours becasue the my clown was beating on him (or so it looked). I couldn't keep him isolated because there was no circulation or filtration in the specimen container I stuck him in, so I put him back in his spot. After about a week, he started fully inflating and coloring back up.

I've only had issues the two times out of him.

mine was white with purple tips, now brownish tentacles. eating and doing fine, fully extended. any idea why the tentacles turn brown?

Toddww1 said:
mine was white with purple tips, now brownish tentacles. eating and doing fine, fully extended. any idea why the tentacles turn brown?

Im guessing by the description this is a condy nem. Brown is normal, its usually a sign the nem has regained much of its symbiotic zoos. Bleaching usually means not enough light. White is usually how they are seen in pet stores from poor lighting. Ive kept a few and under good lighting they brown up. The symbiotic algae is what causes the browning and it is also what helps feed the nem through photosynthesis. Obviously a quick explaination.

Tough luck hopefully your nem pulls through. To avoid this happening again put a piece of foam or filter floss over the intake.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom