Leveling a 55g Stand with styrofoam?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JesseMessykinn

Aquarium Advice Freak
Ok so ive got a problem with this 55 I just got. Its not level darn it! The stand is home made, and its not all as level as it should be top and bottem. Im thinking of using styrofoam under the tank itself to solve that problem. Then was wondering could I use a small piece of styrofoam underneath the four legs to level it out? Has anyone tried that, all comments and tips welcome.

:thanks::thanks::thanks::thanks:

I used 4 shims on the front of my 55 gallon stand works great!

Im girlfriend says just one of the legs is a little longer, so i might try to sand it down a hair. Another think though, has anyone put styrofoam under the tank/above the stand itself? Does it help at all?

Styro will help level out inperfections in the top surface of the stand, but will not help to level the stand itself, as the weight will distribute evenly across the styro and crush it all the same amount. Hence unlevel stand = unlevel stand with stryo. Your only option is to the level the stand by sanding down the legs or by placing a shim under the legs. Personally I like the plastic shims rather then the wooden ones for aquariums.

On a side note, if the stand has feet or legs rather than a continous bottom surface, your weight will all be distributed to those feet rather than across the floor. Make sure your flooring is sufficient to support the weight, so you don't punch a hole in the floor with your stand once the tank if filled.

Yeah i think im gonna get a large file and sand down the one leg to make it even, sadly I dont have a powersander nor know anyone whom does. This is gonna be a fun project, ive also gotta reseal the tank aswell. On a side note the stand is on a concrete floor covered by carpet, so thats not a problem. :D

JesseMessykinn said:
On a side note the stand is on a concrete floor covered by carpet, so thats not a problem. :D
That actually might be the problem. Pull the carpet and the padding up and check to make sure the concrete is level.

David

That actually might be the problem. Pull the carpet and the padding up and check to make sure the concrete is level.

David

Ill give it a look, we messured the legs, one of the legs is about 1/8 of a inch longer then the other 3, but ill see if I can check under the carpet. Im renting the place I living, It was a Garage converted into a apartment. Thanks a ton for the tips.

Another thing, would I be better off shimming the 3 legs apose to slimming the one down?

I have a 180g tank in my apartment, the complex is 50+ yrs old so the floors aren't level... shims worked for mine like a charm. And when you're done pushing the shims under you can break off the excess pieces to make it look better :)

Back
Top Bottom