Leveling an uneven floor for 100 gallon tank.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

L2

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi there,

I'm setting up a 100 gallon acrylic aquarium on a wood floor. The floor is pretty uneven... In both directions. How should I go about leveling it? The Tenecor acrylic aquarium is 60 x 18 x 20 and sits on an acrylic stand that covers the full surface of the floor.... What can I use to level the floor? Shimmies are weak and won't really reenforce the surface/underneath the stand properly. Thoughts? Advice?

Thanks.
Lloyd

is this tank going in a home and what floor, if its the basement, i would just get some wood pieces and even it out, if not, I whould reinforce the floor with a wall on the bottom floor directly above the tank.

Actually I'm putting the tank on the 4th floor of an old tenement building in NYC.

The tank will weight aprox 1000 lbs (full). 60 x 18 so it covers a good amount of floor space/span. I've asked around and most contractors say that 1000 pounds really isn't so bad over such a long distance/area... Seeing as people put up wood bookcases and setup entertainment systems that weight just as much when they are filled.

I was thinking of using some self leveling cement to get the floor level for the stand (it's entirely flat) so the floor needs to be level. Thoughts?

I've had similar concerns about leveling the stand. If I shim one end of the stand 1/4" to make the tank perfectly level, wouldn't the stand eventually sag in the middle. I thought that if the stand wasn't flat on the floor that the stand would eventually assume a bowed shape and give less support to the tank.

Back
Top Bottom