LF snails the eat live plants combo.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Deep Seven

Aquarium Advice Addict
I'm building a breeder tank for snails and blackworms. I'm looking for a plant/snail combination, where I can grow live plants, and the snails will feed on the live plants and reproduce quickly.

Is there such a thing?

Yes, any snail species, provided they are starved long enough will eat your plants. But if you're looking for sustainability, that's impossible. I don't think any plant could grow fast enough or survive long enough during an onslaught of snail munching.

It would be a better idea to just raise them on lettuce and algae wafers.

If you want a lot of snails just get pond or bladder snails or MTS.

Ramshorn Snails will reproduce quick and only eat the plants if you starve them. They'll take almost any fish food and breed too though.

Okay, so I'll grow snails using lettuce and algae wafers. What would be a good plant to grow for snail food/nutrient export?

I want a plant that snails will like eating (even if they won't do it until they're very hungry) and grow fairly quickly. I want to put the plant in the breeder tank, and possibly in my refugium too.

Mine did well with an Amazon Sword. They would nibble on it when I obviously didn't feed them enough but the plant coped well. The snails laid their eggs in it a lot, too.

I used to sell them on eBay and obviously bred them for my Puffer and Loaches. If you just have snails in there then a bit of overfeeding will go a long way, but treat the tank like a fish tank (water changes, filter, etc).

Back
Top Bottom