LFS employies

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

QuakingAspen

Aquarium Advice Activist
I know that people love to test LFS employees :confused: and ask questions that they know the answers to. What are everybody's favorite questions and answers?

Edit : I do understand that not all employees are irresponsible, I just want to know everyone's personal experience. :)

"Do you think my Oscar will be ok in 20gallon tank?"
Was thankfully told that an Oscar can live in a minimum55gal.

"Can a betta live with my gouramis?"
"Yes"

"How many guppys can I keep in my 10gal?"
Best answer- about 5
"Is that males or females"
"Well the males are more colourful"
"So you're saying 5males?"
"Yes"

I often just wonder around the store sometimes "just looking" I just watch the staff deal with other people and that's how I decide on whether I can trust what they say.

I think that a popular one is . . .
How long do I have to cycle?
A day or a few days.:banghead:

I tought a pet** employee how to sex platies!

Fishobsessed7

When you have to teach a LFS worker how to do these things, some things they don't have to know but when you ask them for a female platy, they should give you a female platy!

I still remember my favorite local store where I use to live. They had everything the guy helped me so much set up my tank when I was starting out 12yr old me put fish in without cycling and he got angry at me... He always had such an awesome variety of fish too. I even remember his wife telling me that their discus all died during them moving houses from stress and he wasn't working that day because he was too upset. Wish I had a store like that still around me

It made me happy to hear a lfs employee reject selling some one a goldfish for their 1 gallon bowl. It made me know I was going to the right place

I drilled my local aquarium stores' employees pretty hard. One failed. She knew a fair bit, but was looking to make a sale, tried to put more fish in my tank when I was already fish-in cycling (I didn't know better until too late). The other store has been a godsend. The gave me some established bio-media and a ton of tips for getting my nitrogen cycle established, and when they pushed a sale it was for a gravel vac, api testing materials... things I needed, but might have put off if they hadn't made it clear that these were necessities for the care of the animals I'm keeping.

The guy who runs Majestic Aquariums put out a YouTube video of him telling us that he rejected selling a 1.8l Betta Bowl to someone who wanted to put 6 Koi in it.

The moron even had the cheek to then leave a negative review for the company online.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Also if anyone works at an LFS and has been asked stupid questions by customers, you can post those here too.

I had a job at a local store I had to quit because of training and all but while I was there I got asked a few stupid questions nothing out of the ordinary though. Most people didn't ask me for help because I'm 17 and they I guess were assuming I didn't know much. I also got in trouble off the agro manager once for trying to warn someone about clown loaches and silver sharks and their needs but oh well that's another reason why I quit.

When I went to petsmart the other day looking for bettas I also wanted some more black neons to add to my schoool. So the lady asked if I need any help and I was like do you have any black neons. She shows them them to me and then says That she doesn't advice me to buy from shipment. Because many of them have been dieing. She then proceeded to say that she didn't know is it was stress or some ilness. Anyways I just thought that was cool.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Atleast she was honest with you.

I tried to explain to my old work that you can't keep so many gouramis in the same tank of different species especially wen they were all male...I felt so bad watching them all get beaten up. I really only worked there for the discounts and easy access to plants where I could nick a bunch or two here and there.

I was at petsmart and saw this 60 year old guy questioning a teenager who was working in the fish department. He obviously new his stuff and was just trying to show off but He just seemed like an elitist jerk to me. I stepped in and asked the girl to help me out finding something. I don't understand this type of thinking so you know more about something than someone else who cares I don't understand why it is fun to drill LFS employees.

If we spend more time in life building others up instead of tearing others down it will make life much better.

I was at petsmart and saw this 60 year old guy questioning a teenager who was working in the fish department. He obviously new his stuff and was just trying to show off but He just seemed like an elitist jerk to me. I stepped in and asked the girl to help me out finding something. I don't understand this type of thinking so you know more about something than someone else who cares I don't understand why it is fun to drill LFS employees.

If we spend more time in life building others up instead of tearing others down it will make life much better.

I agree with you. In my thread about LFS knowledge my point wasn't about just drilling them with questions for the fun of it. I do it to see what they know and how much they know.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Very much agreed. There's a massive difference between stroking your own ego and actually trying to share your knowledge with them. Most of these employees are just trying to do their job despite the lack of training provided by the stores themselves. There were plenty of times I've had to have an actual conversation about keeping with with some teens just trying to hold their part-time job and not only did they enjoy learning more about the stuff they sell and take care of, it was rewarding to see them apply the knowledge with other customers. It not only saves the hobby by helping others cultivate passion for the hobby but also helps less fish get sold to be shoved into tiny tanks and living only a week or so.

Let's just say I know to check Google before buying now

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom