LFS "Tanks being treated" && new findings at home

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dbaeunn

Aquarium Advice Activist
I was jst at my LFS not even a week ago and purchased Neon Tetras. I had some die in the matter of a few days.

I stopped in Today to get some food for my ADFs and noticed that half of the tanks had signs on them that said the tank was being treated ((they didnt have the lights in the tanks on)) and that you couldn't buy any of those fish.

It makes me wonder did I happen to buy bad fish???
When I got home I had ANOTHER Tetra dead and it had a white fuzz around it, now my Betta has fuzz around him.
I know they were fine before I left at 123o, I checked em.
When I got home around 5/6 is when I found all of this.

I did buy the fish almost a week ago.. is it possible that the other half of the tanks had something wrong with them as well and were treated earlier this week???

What horrible store are you shopping at? I would bet you got sick fish. I would also suggest testing your own water to see if its off in some way (ammonia or Nitrite). Its not normal for that many fish to die.............ever.

At first I thought it was maybe losing a few during the end of the fish in cycling.. but the Betta and ADF had been in there for a few days before I got the Tetra. I've had the Betta since September and ADF since Summer.

It was at Pet Supplies Plus, I've NEVER seen those signs before.. I've had dogs my whole life and I'm in there once a week, every 2wks the longest w.o being in there and this is a first.

A lesson to learn here. Don't buy fish from a general pet shop unless you know that they are competent fish keepers. In my experience the best place to buy fish is from a LFS and if they sell marine fish all the better because they probably really do know how to care for fish.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Well FWIW, neons are probably the least hardiest of anything IMO. As well, I really don't think it has anything to do with whether a store is a dedicated "fish only" or if it's Walmart. The majority of lies on the hobbyists ability to to determine the health of said fish while in the store and ability to practice quality proactive QT skills. Without such, it often winds up becoming a rough learning experience. And sometimes quite expensive.

Sent from my iPhone that doesn't like me. Or you !!

What horrible store are you shopping at? I would bet you got sick fish. I would also suggest testing your own water to see if its off in some way (ammonia or Nitrite). Its not normal for that many fish to die.............ever.

Yah.. if it's bad stock than its absolutely normal, I've lost 4 neons in as many days, bad stock...
Op- I'd take them back for a refund, i usually won't buy anything that's been in the lfs for less than a few weeks, unless it has a solid back story. Shipping can stress a healthy fish..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

The store also experience the same problems we encounter when a new delivery of fish arrive and most have banks of tanks on the same filtration system if not all.

It's possible you were sold fish that were manifesting something that didn't become apparent immediately.

As mentioned neons are not the most resilient to begin with and a quarantine tank is a good preventative although not always practical.

A lesson to learn here. Don't buy fish from a general pet shop unless you know that they are competent fish keepers. In my experience the best place to buy fish is from a LFS and if they sell marine fish all the better because they probably really do know how to care for fish.

This pet store is probably the size of a double wide.. and I have no "homegrown business" that sells fish. I have local feed mills, my nearest neighbor is a mile away, and it takes almost 45min to get to civilization.
I've been going to this store for years on a weekly basis and this is the first time I've ever seen signs like that on their tanks.

As mentioned neons are not the most resilient to begin with and a quarantine tank is a good preventative although not always practical.

Quarantine tank is definitely my next investment..

Back
Top Bottom