LFS's and cat lady's.... :) With pics, 5/7/06

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lonewolfblue

Aquarium Advice Addict
Well, went to the lfs to get a few more fish. The fish gals were't there, and the only 2 gals were the cat, dog, and small rodent gals, lol. I went to get a few fish for my 26G, as the dwarf gouramis are no longer there. I tried getting 2 neons, and she kept telling me they were cardinal tetras, lol. I told her, no, the cardinals are over here, lol. So I ended up getting 6 cardinals instead. Then I got some glowlight tetras, at least I think that's what they are. Going to look them up, lol. Then I saw the rainbows. They had 3 types listed, and I told her I wanted 1 of each. The prices were 6.99, 9.99, and 14.99. But she told me she didn't know for sure what kinds they were, and only charged me 6.99 each, lol. Now I have to look them up too, lol. One is kind of bluish the whole body, one is half bluish and half yellowish, and the 3rd is copperish. Any ideas?

Then I got some glowlight tetras

I have 7 glowlights and I really like them. They look like they have little red head lights when they look straight at the front of the tank. They are very peaceful, non nippy tetras and seem to school well.

I don't know much about your other additions, but wanted to comment on the tetras.

The rainbow that is half blue, half yello is a Bosemani rainbow. If there is a definite stopping point between the blue and the yellow he is probably a male.

Yes, there is a definite stopping point. And now that I look at the other one, does have some yellow in the back half, but not as noticable. Could this be male and female possibly? The Bosemani's were the ones listed as 14.99 each. :)

EDIT:
Since there is some yellow in the copper colored one with solid copperish fins, I'm thinking it's the Jewel Rainbow, Melanotaenia trifasciata?
http://www.thetropicaltank.co.uk/Fishindx/mel-trif.htm

New Edit:
New update. The copper colored rainbow has changed colors. Now he's half copper and half yellow, as his head is very yellow. What is this guy?

26g24.jpg

26g25.jpg

26g26.jpg

26g27.jpg

26g28.jpg

You've got a turquoise (Melanotaenia lacustris), boesemani, and red (Glossolepis incisus) rainbow.
They all prefer to be in groups of there own species though.

Viperboy said:
nice looking fish there LWB ... great pick up and at a good price ;)

Ray

Yes, but kind of makes me feel guilty, lol. None of the real fish gals or guy were there. Since the main gal has been so good to me there, having thoughts of going back to her and making it right for them. And not get anyone in trouble either, was an honest mistake on pricing, as neither of us knew exactly what they were. Any comments on this?

It's possible that going back may make it worse for the gal who sold them. But you never know.

I like to reward honest and generosity with patronage.

Well, here's what's happening, lol. The rainbows are very active, and a blast to watch. But now the 2 notorious CAE's are beginning to be a problem, again, lol. Maybe I should give them to the LFS, lol.

Yes I think you may cause more trouble than good.

I agree with hashbaz, just make more purchases, and definitely don't say "hey last time I got them for $6.99".... man I hate that. (pet peeve)

It's not a lot of fish, lol. My tank is a 26G and was started in Feb of 2005. I have good filtration with a biowheel. So 6 small cardinals, 6 glowlites, and 3 rainbowfish isn't too much. Plus it's planted, which also helps in the ammonia removal. And everything is thriving in that tank. Also, I'm starting up my 4th and 5th tank this week. The 10G is currently cycling, and then will be starting up my 29G this week when my supplies come in.

How many fish total does that make for your 26G? I am starting a 20G (after a significant lapse from aquarium-keeping) and worry about being too aggressive. So I am probably being too passive. But still.

~perle

I have 35 fish in the tank, but most are neons, small cardinals, rasboras, and cories. The only big fish are the 2 CAE's and 3 rainbowfish.

Also, the size of the fish and the bioload of each fish is what counts. I have a lot of fish, yes, but the majority of these fish I would consider as being half the normal bioload per fish.

What kind of fish are you planning, or you want? We'll let you know the aggressiveness levels of the fish if you would like to know. :)

lonewolf,

you should try to get a female rainbow or 2. the males get really beautiful when they flare their fins to attract the ladies. they also flare at each other sometimes, to establish pecking order. also, watch for the bright yellow stripe that appears on the top of their heads and down their noses when they're excited and flaring. it's really cool! good luck with the rainbows!

This is quite interesting. The reddish colored rainbow was playing around with one of the male cherry barbs, and turned completely yellow, with the exception of the fins. Is this normal? What does it possibly indicate?

26g29.jpg

26g30.jpg

26g31.jpg

I've seen them in different shades of red/yellow/orangish. It's probably just a mood thing.

Well, the spot just disappeared, lol. Nothing to worry about. :)

Another thing, the Red Rainbow has been swimming along side the Boesemani Rainbowfish, spreading out the dorsal fins and his lower fins. Quite interesting. All 3 are getting along just fine. :)

Back
Top Bottom